Approach for solving voltage across a resistor in circuit?

In summary, the problem at hand is to solve for the voltage across the resistor R1 in a circuit given the resistance of each resistor, voltage of each voltage source, and current of the current source. The suggested methods to approach this problem are Kirchhoff's voltage and current laws, abstract loop analysis, and mesh or nodal analysis. The preferred method is to use KCL equations for each node in the circuit. To simplify the circuit, it is recommended to convert R7 and I1 into a Thevenin equivalent voltage source with a series resistor, thus eliminating the current source. This will result in simultaneous equations to solve for the desired voltage.
InsaneScientist

Homework Statement

vkbVhNO.png

I must solve for the voltage across the resistor labelled R1 in the circuit above. The values given are the resistance of each resistor, the voltage of each voltage source and the current of the current source.

Note: If referring to circuit loops consider them as being numbered from left to right starting in top-left.

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law
Kirchoff's Current Law
?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure what the proper way is to approach this problem. Kirchoff's current and voltage law confuse me. I've done abstract loop analysis in circuits before such as this example:
nXh0cH4.png

but we've never had to solve for any values. Also how is the current source I1 in the first picture treated in a loop equation such as the ones in the second picture?

So far I've come up with loop equations for the circuit. I think I can then get a solution for the currents with simultaneous equations and then calculate the voltage through R1 from that. My main problem is I don't know what to do with the current source I1.

Physics news on Phys.org
I prefer to use the KCL equations. Can you write those for each of the nodes in the circuit?

Mesh or nodal analysis is the way to go. If the former, I'd probably choose to convert R7 & I1 into a voltage source with series resistor (i.e. their Thevenin equivalent), thus doing away with the current source.

Yes there will be simultaneous equations to solve.

berkeman said:
I prefer to use the KCL equations. Can you write those for each of the nodes in the circuit?
Yes, I could use KCL. Any method is accepted as long as I get the correct answer.
gneill said:
Mesh or nodal analysis is the way to go. If the former, I'd probably choose to convert R7 & I1 into a voltage source with series resistor (i.e. their Thevenin equivalent), thus doing away with the current source.

Yes there will be simultaneous equations to solve.
Thanks. So can I simply change I1 and R7 to a voltage source with Ohm's Law? If I convert it to a voltage source though where in the loop would that voltage source be placed? Adjacent to Loop 4 thus giving me the equation : (I4-I3)R2 + (I4-I2)R5 + (I1*R7) or on it's own in Loop 5?

InsaneScientist said:
Thanks. So can I simply change I1 and R7 to a voltage source with Ohm's Law?
Essentially, yes. Technically it's the conversion of a Norton model to a Thevenin model.
If I convert it to a voltage source though where in the loop would that voltage source be placed? Adjacent to Loop 4 thus giving me the equation : (I4-I3)R2 + (I4-I2)R5 + (I1*R7) or on it's own in Loop 5?
I1 and R7 are snipped out of the circuit and put in their place is a voltage source of magnitude ##I1 R7## in series with a resistance value of R7. Loop 5 disappears.

Related to Approach for solving voltage across a resistor in circuit?

1. How do I calculate the voltage across a resistor in a circuit?

To calculate the voltage across a resistor in a circuit, you can use Ohm's Law which states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). Therefore, V = I x R. You will need to know the value of the current and the resistance in order to solve for voltage.

2. What is the unit of measurement for voltage?

The unit of measurement for voltage is volts (V). This is a measure of the electric potential difference between two points in a circuit. It represents the amount of energy required to move a unit of electric charge from one point to another.

3. Can I use a multimeter to measure voltage across a resistor?

Yes, a multimeter can be used to measure voltage across a resistor. Set the multimeter to the voltage setting and place the probes on either side of the resistor to get a reading. Make sure to use the appropriate range and pay attention to the polarity of the resistor.

4. What factors can affect the voltage across a resistor in a circuit?

The voltage across a resistor can be affected by the amount of current flowing through the circuit, as well as the resistance of the resistor itself. Changes in the resistance or the current can result in a change in the voltage across the resistor.

5. How can I use Kirchhoff's Laws to solve for the voltage across a resistor in a circuit?

Kirchhoff's Laws, specifically Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL), can be used to solve for the voltage across a resistor in a circuit. KVL states that the sum of the voltages around a closed loop in a circuit is equal to zero. By setting up a loop that includes the resistor, you can use the known voltages of other components in the circuit to solve for the unknown voltage across the resistor.