Inclusion-exclusion positive integers

In summary, the problem asks to find the number of positive integers not exceeding n that are relatively prime to n, where n = pq and p and q are prime numbers. This can be solved using the principle of inclusion-exclusion, which involves subtracting the number of multiples of p and q from n, and then adding back the number of multiples of both p and q. This will give the desired result, as the multiples of p and q are not relatively prime to n.
changeofplans

Homework Statement

Suppose that p and q are prime numbers and that n = pq. Use the principle of inclusion-exclusion to find the number of positive integers not exceeding n that are relatively prime to n.

Homework Equations

Inclusion-Exclusion

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I see it, n = pq is contained in a set of all the prime numbers from 1 to pq, plus the multiples that are not prime. So:

n = pq - |pi U qi|

I'm not exactly sure where to go from here, though. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
changeofplans said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that p and q are prime numbers and that n = pq. Use the principle of inclusion-exclusion to find the number of positive integers not exceeding n that are relatively prime to n.

Homework Equations

Inclusion-Exclusion

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I see it, n = pq is contained in a set of all the prime numbers from 1 to pq, plus the multiples that are not prime. So:

n = pq - |pi U qi|

I'm not exactly sure where to go from here, though. Any help is appreciated.
How many multiples of p are less than n ? ...

Would it be the floor of [itex]\frac{pq}{p}[/itex]? And then the number of multiples of q less than n would be the floor of [itex]\frac{pq}{q}[/itex].

If that's the case, I think I see what I'm supposed to do; add up the primes in p, and add up the primes in q. Because they're not mutually exclusive, we then need to take out the primes shared by both p and q.

Any ideas on how to do that? Am I missing something?

Related to Inclusion-exclusion positive integers

What are inclusion-exclusion positive integers?

Inclusion-exclusion positive integers are a mathematical concept used to count the number of elements in a set that satisfy certain conditions. It involves adding and subtracting the number of elements in overlapping sets to get an accurate count.

How is inclusion-exclusion used in mathematics?

Inclusion-exclusion is used in mathematics to solve problems related to counting and probability. It is particularly useful in situations where there are multiple conditions that must be satisfied in order to count the elements of a set.

What is the formula for inclusion-exclusion?

The formula for inclusion-exclusion is: |A ∪ B ∪ C| = |A| + |B| + |C| - |A ∩ B| - |A ∩ C| - |B ∩ C| + |A ∩ B ∩ C|, where A, B, and C are sets and ∪ represents the union of sets and ∩ represents the intersection of sets.

Can inclusion-exclusion be used for more than three sets?

Yes, inclusion-exclusion can be used for any number of sets. The formula for more than three sets becomes more complex, but the concept remains the same.

What are some real-life applications of inclusion-exclusion?

Inclusion-exclusion is commonly used in probability and statistics to calculate the likelihood of certain events occurring. It can also be applied in computer science for efficient database searches and in economics for analyzing consumer preferences.