Do Inclusion-Exclusion and Pigeonhole Principles Apply to Overlapping Sets?

In summary, there are ten sets with four numbers each, and the question is whether there is a possibility that two sets have two or more common elements. It is not clear from the problem statement whether all sets must have two or more common elements or only two sets. Further clarification is needed to determine the solution, but using the inclusion-exclusion principle may be a possible approach.
fiksx
Homework Statement
If the proposition below is true, show this. If false, give a counterexample.
From the integers from 1 to 11, make 10 sets ##S_1,S_2, \dots, S_{10}## each with 4 integers selected. Within each sets, the same number shall not be chosen twice. No matter how ##S_1,S_2, \dots, S_{10}## is selected, two sets ##S_i,S_j## (i not equal to j) include two or more common integers.
Relevant Equations
Sets
Is this related to pigeon principle?
$$S_1=\{1,2,3,4\},$$
$$S_2=\{2,3,4,5\},$$
$$S_3=\{4,5,6,7\},$$
$$S_4=\{5,6,7,8\},$$
$$S_5=\{7,8,9,10\},$$
$$S_6=\{8,9,10,11\},$$
$$S_7=\{5,6,2,4\},$$
$$S_8=\{1,5,7,9\},$$
$$S_9=\{4,8,10,11\},$$
$$S_{10}=\{5,7,10,11\}$$

When we choose two of them, there is possibility there are same integer but not all ?
If this is related to pigeonhole principle or inclusion exclusion principle, Is there possibility that sets are hole and number 1-11 is pigeon but what is the relation with in each sets there are four number?

Physics news on Phys.org
The language in your problem statement is ambiguous. It is not clear whether the proposition is:

##\exists i \neq j##: ##S_i## and ##S_j## have two or more common elements.

or

##\forall i \neq j##: ##S_i## and ##S_j## have two or more common elements.

Your sets clearly is a counter example to the second, but not to the first.

I also thought about that, but if it is like second, it is too obvious, but if it is like the first , how should i proof that? Is it use inclusion exclusion principle?

Related to Do Inclusion-Exclusion and Pigeonhole Principles Apply to Overlapping Sets?

1. What is the inclusion principle set?

The inclusion principle set is a mathematical concept that states that if an element belongs to a set, then it must also belong to all the subsets of that set.

2. How is the inclusion principle set used in mathematics?

The inclusion principle set is used in various mathematical concepts such as set theory, combinatorics, and probability. It helps define the relationships between sets and their subsets, and is used to solve problems involving counting and probability.

3. What is an example of the inclusion principle set in action?

One example of the inclusion principle set is the counting principle, where the total number of possible outcomes is calculated by multiplying the number of choices for each individual event. This principle is based on the idea that if an event can occur in a certain number of ways, then the total number of outcomes is the product of all these possibilities.

4. How does the inclusion principle set relate to the concept of subsets?

The inclusion principle set is closely related to the concept of subsets. It states that every element in a set must also be present in all its subsets. This means that if a set A is a subset of set B, then all the elements in A must also be present in B.

5. What are some real-life applications of the inclusion principle set?

The inclusion principle set has various real-life applications, such as in computer science, genetics, and sociology. In computer science, it is used in algorithms for efficient data processing. In genetics, it is used to analyze relationships between different gene variations. In sociology, it helps understand the relationships between various social groups and their subsets.