In that Twilight Zone episode with the bookworm bank teller, why is--

• Thread starter Eclair_de_XII
  • Start date
In summary, it seems that there was no nuclear fallout after a bunch of nuclear detonations supposedly destroy the world? The man seemingly just walks out of the vault after having retreated to it to read a book on his lunch break, without being affected by any residual radiation.
Eclair_de_XII
--there no nuclear fallout after a bunch of nuclear detonations supposedly destroy the world? The man seemingly just walks out of the vault after having retreated to it to read a book on his lunch break, without being affected by any residual radiation. Was nuclear physics not well-developed enough in the late 1950s for the writers of this episode to know that it exists, or is my woefully scant knowledge of physics betraying me once more?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh that was a great episode, when he had all the time in the world now to read without being bothered, then he lost his (_______)! It's just a story, that can happen only in the Twilight Zone...….

Likes Lren Zvsm
1. Fallout is fickle, dependent in winds and other factors.
2. Just because he didn't get sick in the story doesn't mean there wasn't fallout. The story ended.
3. It's fantasy.

Likes Lren Zvsm, Eclair_de_XII and PhanthomJay
images.jpg

Like most if not all Twilight Zone stories, Time enough at Last took rather extensive license regarding plausibility.

Likes Lren Zvsm
Last night I happened to see one of my favorite episodes, "Twenty Two." That one scared the bejeepers out of me as a kid. I looked on IMDB and was surprised to learn the creepy nurse was played by Arline Sax [Martel], later to play T'Pring on Star Trek.

There's an episode of the Twilight Zone where Bill Shatner (and no-one else) can see a gremlin on the wing of the plane he's on. The episode later got remade with John Lithgow. So in the episode of 3rd Rock From the Sun when Dick Solomon (Lithgow) meets the Big Giant Head (Shatner) at the airport there's a brief conversation about seeing something on the wing - "that happened to me, too!"

• Haha
Likes berkeman and DEvens
Ibix said:
So in the episode of 3rd Rock From the Sun when Dick Solomon (Lithgow) meets the Big Giant Head (Shatner) at the airport there's a brief conversation about seeing something on the wing - "that happened to me, too!"
Did not know that!

Likes Lren Zvsm
Hey you Twilight Zone and PhysicsForums enthusiasts! Try a search on YouTube for "Twilight Zone Burgess Meredith" and see what interesting videos you might find listed.

Pretty sure that the end of the episode happened a mere days after the nuclear war. All he seemed to have time to do was to organize the books he wanted to read. With the exception of acute radiation poisoning from huge doses at once, any negative effects would take a long time to develop, possibly even years.

Also, I think at the time, second generation thermonuclear weapons were much more common than the first gen fission bombs. Fallout only comes from fission, which in these new bombs were only used as a trigger mechanism for the much more powerful fusion stage. A powerful hydrogen bomb probably produces much less fallout than even the Hiroshima bomb.

Here's a link to the original story at the Gutenberg Project: Time Enough at Last, by Lyn Venable

[Notice: original 28-year copyright was expired in 1982; if renewed, 28-year renewal was expired in 2010.]

Henry Bemis said:
That's not fair. That's not fair at all. There was time now. There was—was all
the time I needed…! It's not fair! It's not fair!
Time Enough at Last - Wikipedia

Likes Lren Zvsm
It could've been much worse...

• Haha
Likes PhanthomJay
PhanthomJay said:
Oh that was a great episode, when he had all the time in the world now to read without being bothered, then he lost his (_______)! It's just a story, that can happen only in the Twilight Zone...….

I would have LOVED to hear Rod Serling deliver your last sentence. Nice post.

I don’t recall that episode being specific as to how wherever he was was destroyed but I could be wrong

Related to In that Twilight Zone episode with the bookworm bank teller, why is--

1. Why was the bank teller so obsessed with books in the Twilight Zone episode?

The bank teller's obsession with books was a result of his dissatisfaction with his mundane job and desire for intellectual stimulation. He found solace in books and used them as an escape from his mundane reality.

2. What happened to the bank teller in the end of the episode?

In the end, the bank teller's obsession with books leads him to discover a rare book that grants him the power to control time and space. However, he becomes trapped in the book and is forced to live out the stories within it for eternity.

3. Was the bank teller's fate a punishment or a reward?

This is open to interpretation. Some may see it as a punishment for his obsessive behavior, while others may view it as a reward for his love of literature and the opportunity to live out different stories.

4. How did the Twilight Zone episode explore the theme of obsession?

The episode highlights the dangers of obsession and how it can consume someone's life. It also shows how obsession can lead to unexpected consequences and ultimately, one's downfall.

5. What was the message or lesson of the Twilight Zone episode with the bookworm bank teller?

The episode serves as a cautionary tale about the dangers of obsession and the importance of finding balance in life. It also emphasizes the power of literature and the dangers of escaping reality through books.

Back