In pursuit of astrophysical degree, need advice

In summary, the conversation revolved around the speaker's interest in pursuing an astrophysical degree and their plan to attend community college before transferring to a larger university. They also asked about the importance of where their undergraduate degree comes from and if it's possible to transfer from a CC to the University of Chicago for both a BS and graduate degree. The other person in the conversation provided advice on transfer options and recommended speaking with a counselor at the CC and researching articulation agreements. They also mentioned the requirements for transferring to the University of Chicago and suggested considering other universities in Texas.
kruszec
Good evening,

My name is Zach, I am 22. I am currently interested in an astrophysical degree and I'm not sure exactly what to do. I recently separated from the military to pursue an education. I didn't do too well in high school so my plan is to go to community college for two years, so I can hopefully get accepted into a larger university. My question is does it matter greatly where your undergrad degree comes from, or mainly your grad degree. Any other additional advice would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can transfer into a good undergrad program from CC. UG matters in that the resources and undergrad opportunity that would be available to you are generally better at large research schools.

What state are you in?

I am in Ohio currently. I will be moving to Texas soon though.

Ah, I don't know how Texas CC -> 4 Year transfer works. So I can't be any assistance on that front, you might want to make an appointment with a counselor at your school after you do the placement tests. They will know any programs available for CC transfer students, and any specific programs they have that vets can take advantage of. (We get grandfathered into the ULINK program for the California Community College system)

Depending on where you place into for math and English will determine how many years you have till transfer. If you’ve forgotten most of your high school algebra you should probably plan on being there for three years. The counselors will also be able to point out any articulation agreements they have with nearby universities, and what courses you should take before transfer to fulfil lower division requirements.

OK, that makes sense. My goal is to end up in the university of Chicago. Is it possible to transfer from CC to chicU to finish out my BS and grad degree?

kruszec said:
OK, that makes sense. My goal is to end up in the university of Chicago. Is it possible to transfer from CC to chicU to finish out my BS and grad degree?

Out of state transfers are something I know little about, but it's often a grey area of whether your courses done in Texas will meet the requirements of the school in Chicago.

CC's normally have articulation agreements between certain universities for which courses are guaranteed as transferable. Out of state, it's much harder to say, and most likey will come down to someone reviewing your transcript and deciding which courses are transferable.

Maybe going to CC in Chicago would work better for you? I don't know if that's possible for your situation. Regardless, you should make an appointment with the transfer/vet counselor at the CC you enroll in after you take the placement exams, and make clear that your goal is out of state transfer. You can also call the school in Chicago and ask them to do a review of your planned courses, and whether they will meet the requirements for their lower division requirements.

Also, what does the universities website say about out of state transfer?

Liberal arts courses carrying at least three semester hours or four quarter hours of credit and passed with a grade of C or better (in some cases, a grade of B or better is required) from an accredited two- or four-year institution.*‡
The College grants credit for some Advanced Placement examinations with scores of 4 or 5, but not for CLEP, USAFI, or correspondence course work.
* Courses in pre-calculus and calculus and in foreign language (some must be validated by College placement examinations)

‡ Depending on the student’s major and on the level of work to be evaluated, credit for some courses in chemistry, physics, and biology may also be subject to examination.
That's straight from their site.

That may or may not basically shut you out right there. You could attempt the transfer, but keep other schools in mind as well. Get talking to people at the CC you're going to.

There are some great University's in Texas! Also, there are articulation agreements between most CC's in Texas and the UT's. You should look into that. They system is not nearly layed out as well like in California, but it still exists.

Related to In pursuit of astrophysical degree, need advice

1. What is an astrophysical degree and what does it entail?

An astrophysical degree is an academic program that focuses on the study of the physical properties and processes of objects in the universe, such as stars, galaxies, and planets. It combines elements of physics, astronomy, and mathematics to understand the nature and evolution of celestial bodies. Students in this program can expect to take courses in astrophysics, cosmology, planetary science, and observational astronomy.

2. What career opportunities are available with an astrophysical degree?

There are a variety of career paths available to those with an astrophysical degree. Some common options include research positions in academia or government agencies, telescope operators or data analysts at observatories, or science communication and education roles. Graduates can also pursue careers in related fields such as aerospace, engineering, data science, or finance.

3. What skills and qualities are important for success in an astrophysical degree program?

Strong mathematical and analytical skills are essential for an astrophysical degree, as well as a passion for problem-solving and critical thinking. Attention to detail, excellent communication skills, and the ability to work independently and in a team are also important for success in this field. Additionally, a strong background in physics and astronomy is beneficial.

4. Is it necessary to have prior experience in astronomy or physics to pursue an astrophysical degree?

While having prior experience in astronomy or physics can be helpful, it is not always necessary. Many astrophysical degree programs offer introductory courses for students with little to no background in these subjects. However, having a strong foundation in these areas can make the coursework and research more manageable and increase your chances of success in the program.

5. What advice do you have for someone pursuing an astrophysical degree?

My advice would be to take advantage of all the opportunities available to you, such as research projects, internships, and networking events. These experiences can help you gain practical skills and make valuable connections in the field. It's also important to stay curious and keep up with the latest advancements in astrophysics by reading scientific literature and attending conferences. Lastly, don't be afraid to ask for help or guidance from professors and peers – collaboration is key in this field.