In how many ways can three aces be drawn?

• Thread starter YODA0311
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the probability of drawing three aces from a deck of 52 cards. The first attempt is to use the formula P = n! / (n-r)! to calculate the number of possible sequences, resulting in 132,600. However, a Google search reveals that there are actually 24 possible sequences if order is considered important. The conversation then discusses the importance of order in card-drawing problems and how it can affect the calculation of probability. The moderator also notes that there is a formula to calculate the correct answer, but it can also be solved using common sense.
YODA0311
probability help pleasezz

1. In how many ways can three aces be drawn?

2. I used this formula - P= n!/(n-r)!
n r

3. Here is my attempt- 52!/(52-3)!=52!/49!= 132600, but that is off to me.

I googled this problem and the person got "There are 4*3*2 = 24 sequences in which 3 aces can be drawn from a deck containing 4 aces." However I do not know how they reached their conclusion :(

Physics news on Phys.org

well i think i got it, however i would like to know if it is correct
n!/(n-r)!=4!/(4-3)!=4!/1=24/1=24 possible ways to draw three aces

YODA0311 said:
well i think i got it, however i would like to know if it is correct
n!/(n-r)!=4!/(4-3)!=4!/1=24/1=24 possible ways to draw three aces

That's right if you are considering order, i.e. you consider clubs-diamonds-spades to be different from clubs-spades-diamonds.

However, I will add that in card-drawing problems, one typically does not consider the order to be important. I.e., clubs-diamonds-spades and clubs-spades-diamonds are considered to be the same.

While there is a formula that gives the right answer, the answer to this one can easily be found (or checked) using common sense.

Moderator's note: thread moved from Intro Physics to Precalc Math.

Related to In how many ways can three aces be drawn?

1. How many ways can three aces be drawn from a standard deck of cards?

There are 4 aces in a standard deck of cards, so the first ace can be drawn in 4 ways. After the first ace is drawn, there are 3 aces left in the deck, so the second ace can be drawn in 3 ways. Finally, after two aces are drawn, there is only 1 ace left in the deck, so the third ace can be drawn in 1 way. Therefore, the total number of ways to draw three aces is 4 x 3 x 1 = 12 ways.

2. Does the order in which the aces are drawn matter?

Yes, the order in which the aces are drawn does matter. For example, drawing the ace of spades, then the ace of hearts, and finally the ace of diamonds is a different outcome than drawing the ace of hearts, then the ace of diamonds, and finally the ace of spades.

3. What is the probability of drawing three aces from a standard deck of cards?

The probability of drawing three aces from a standard deck of cards can be calculated by dividing the number of ways to draw three aces (12) by the total number of possible outcomes (52 choose 3), which is 52 x 51 x 50 = 132600. Therefore, the probability is 12/132600 = 1/11050 = 0.0000905 or approximately 0.00905%.

4. Can three aces be drawn from a deck of cards without replacement?

Yes, three aces can be drawn from a deck of cards without replacement. This means that once an ace is drawn, it is not put back into the deck before the next draw. Therefore, the number of aces available in the deck decreases with each draw, resulting in a different probability for each subsequent draw.

5. How does the number of aces in the deck affect the number of ways to draw three aces?

The number of aces in the deck directly affects the number of ways to draw three aces. For example, if there were only 2 aces in the deck, the first ace could be drawn in 2 ways, the second ace in 1 way, and the third ace in 0 ways. This would result in a total of 2 x 1 x 0 = 0 ways to draw three aces. Similarly, if there were 5 aces in the deck, the total number of ways to draw three aces would increase to 5 x 4 x 3 = 60 ways.