Combinatorics - In how many ways can three aces and two kings be drawn

In summary: On your question, "the number of ways to order 3 "A"s and 2 "K"s. Do you know how to find that?" I would use, n!/(n-r)!= 5!/(5-3)!=5!/2!=60 ways to order 3 "A" cards out of 5 cards. Then n!/(n-r)!=5!/(5-2)!=5!/3!=20 ways to order 2 "k" cards out of 5 cards. Then should I add 20 +60= 80 total ways to order 3"A"s and 2"k"s?
YODA0311
1. In how many ways can three aces and two kings be drawn?

2. There are 24 ways three aces can be drawn and there are 12 ways two kings can be drawn.
3. I tried 24x12=288 ways to get three aces and two kings.. people are telling me that it is wrong, but I am not understanding why

Physics news on Phys.org

YODA0311 said:
1. In how many ways can three aces and two kings be drawn?

2. There are 24 ways three aces can be drawn and there are 12 ways two kings can be drawn.
3. I tried 24x12=288 ways to get three aces and two kings.. people are telling me that it is wrong, but I am not understanding why
First look at specifically "AAAKK" in that order. There are 4 aces so 4 ways to draw that first ace. After that, there are 3 aces left so 3 ways to get the second ace. After drawing the second ace, there are 2 aces left so 2 ways to draw that third ace. There are 4 kings so 4 ways to draw the first king. Then there are 3 kings left so 3 ways to draw that second king.

So far that says there are 4(3)(2)(4)(3)= 24(12)= 288 ways to get "AAAKK" in that specific order. But the same kind of analysis would show that there are 288 ways to get, say, "AKAKA" or three aces and two kings in any specific order. You need to multiply 288 by the number of ways to order 3 "A"s and 2 "K"s. Do you know how to find that?

HallsofIvy said:
First look at specifically "AAAKK" in that order. There are 4 aces so 4 ways to draw that first ace. After that, there are 3 aces left so 3 ways to get the second ace. After drawing the second ace, there are 2 aces left so 2 ways to draw that third ace. There are 4 kings so 4 ways to draw the first king. Then there are 3 kings left so 3 ways to draw that second king.

So far that says there are 4(3)(2)(4)(3)= 24(12)= 288 ways to get "AAAKK" in that specific order. But the same kind of analysis would show that there are 288 ways to get, say, "AKAKA" or three aces and two kings in any specific order. You need to multiply 288 by the number of ways to order 3 "A"s and 2 "K"s. Do you know how to find that?

Wow I would like to say thank you, because you actually explained it in a manner I can understand.
On your question, "the number of ways to order 3 "A"s and 2 "K"s. Do you know how to find that?" I would use, n!/(n-r)!= 5!/(5-3)!=5!/2!=60 ways to order 3 "A" cards out of 5 cards.
Then n!/(n-r)!=5!/(5-2)!=5!/3!=20 ways to order 2 "k" cards out of 5 cards.
Then should I add 20 +60= 80 total ways to order 3"A"s and 2"k"s?

Related to Combinatorics - In how many ways can three aces and two kings be drawn

1. What is the formula for calculating the number of ways to draw three aces and two kings in a deck of cards?

The formula for calculating the number of ways to draw three aces and two kings in a deck of cards is 4C3 * 4C2 = 4 * 6 = 24. This means that there are 24 possible combinations of three aces and two kings that can be drawn from a deck of 52 cards.

2. Can the three aces and two kings be drawn in any order?

Yes, the three aces and two kings can be drawn in any order. In combinatorics, order does not matter when determining the number of combinations.

3. How does the number of ways to draw three aces and two kings compare to the number of ways to draw five cards from a deck of cards?

The number of ways to draw three aces and two kings is a specific case of the number of ways to draw five cards from a deck of cards. There are 52C5 = 2,598,960 ways to draw any five cards from a deck, while there are only 24 ways to draw three aces and two kings.

4. Is it possible to draw three aces and two kings with replacements?

No, it is not possible to draw three aces and two kings with replacements. The question specifically asks for the number of ways to draw three aces and two kings, which implies that the cards are not replaced after being drawn. If replacements were allowed, the number of possible combinations would increase significantly.

5. How is combinatorics used in real life situations?

Combinatorics is used in various real life situations, such as in probability and statistics, computer science, and in business and finance. It is used to calculate the number of possible outcomes or combinations in a given scenario, which can help in decision making and problem solving.