I'm a Math/Operations Research major considering Graduate School for Business

In summary, it is not uncommon for students from a science background to pursue a graduate degree in business. Your strong drive and goals, combined with a solid academic record and mathematically-oriented degree, make you a competitive candidate for business school. Your degree in operations research may also open up opportunities in other fields such as investments and securities analysis, which often have high-paying job prospects. Best of luck with your graduate admission exam!
Hodgey8806
I haven't taken my graduate admission exam, but I'm not that worried about it. I really think I have the overall skills to do well. I was just curious: how hard it is to get into the grad schools for business after being a mathematics major with my emphasis in operations research? To be honest, I want to go into an analyst position and plan to work my way to the top. I'd rather work downtown than in the warehouse in a suburb. I also plan to work up to a corner office as well. So, I have goals and drive. But, do you think there are any major problems with getting into the business school at a university coming from a science? What do you think is a heavily statistical degree that pays well? I was thinking securities analyst or some type of investments analyst. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you have a great plan and a lot of drive, which are two important factors for success in grad school, especially at the business school. Generally, most business schools place a greater emphasis on one’s academic record, rather than one’s undergraduate major. As long as you have a solid academic background and a good test score, you should be competitive for admission to the business school.Having a degree in mathematics with an emphasis in operations research is certainly an advantage when it comes to quantitative analysis and statistical reasoning. This background will likely be beneficial for a career in investments or securities analysis, which is a field that typically pays well. Additionally, many employers value an operations research degree for its versatile applications in other areas such as engineering, data science, and analytics. It is definitely an asset in the job market. Good luck with your graduate admission exam!

Related to I'm a Math/Operations Research major considering Graduate School for Business

1. What is the difference between a Math/Operations Research major and a Business major?

A Math/Operations Research major focuses on mathematical modeling, optimization, and data analysis, while a Business major focuses on management, marketing, finance, and other business-related topics. Math/Operations Research majors often use their analytical skills to solve business problems, while Business majors use their knowledge to make strategic decisions for companies.

2. Why should I consider graduate school for Business if I already have a Math/Operations Research degree?

A graduate degree in Business can open up new career opportunities and provide a deeper understanding of the business world. It can also complement your analytical skills and make you a more well-rounded candidate for jobs in various industries.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing a graduate degree in Business after a Math/Operations Research undergraduate degree?

A graduate degree in Business can provide you with a competitive edge in the job market, as it shows that you have a strong foundation in both mathematics and business. It can also lead to higher salaries and opportunities for advancement in your career.

4. Are there any specific skills or prerequisites required for a Math/Operations Research major to succeed in Business graduate school?

While there are no specific prerequisites, having a strong background in mathematics, statistics, and data analysis can be beneficial in a Business graduate program. It is also important to have good communication and problem-solving skills, as well as an interest in business and management.

5. What kind of career paths can I pursue with a graduate degree in Business after a Math/Operations Research undergraduate degree?

There are various career paths you can pursue with a graduate degree in Business, such as management consulting, financial analysis, data analytics, marketing, and operations research. This degree can also open up opportunities for leadership positions in various industries, including technology, healthcare, finance, and manufacturing.