If certain entries of this matrix are all nonzero, show that the only

• Thread starter s3a
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the matrix has zero solutions if a, d, and f are nonzero, and the solution to the equation is x = 0.
s3a

Homework Statement

Matrix U is the following matrix:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i={{a,b,c},{0,d,e},{0,0,f}}

Question:
If a, d, f are all nonzero, show that the only solution to Ux = 0 is x = 0. Then the upper triangular matrix U has independent columns.

The solution says:
xcomplete = xparticular + xhomogeneous = (1/2,0,1/2,0) + x2 (-3,1,0,0) + x4(0,0,-2,1)

Homework Equations

xcomplete = xparticular + xhomogeneous

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm very confused; I'm not sure where to start.

Any help in figuring out what I need to do would be really appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

s3a said:

Homework Statement

Matrix U is the following matrix:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i={{a,b,c},{0,d,e},{0,0,f}}

Question:
If a, d, f are all nonzero, show that the only solution to Ux = 0 is x = 0. Then the upper triangular matrix U has independent columns.

The solution says:
xcomplete = xparticular + xhomogeneous = (1/2,0,1/2,0) + x2 (-3,1,0,0) + x4(0,0,-2,1)

Homework Equations

xcomplete = xparticular + xhomogeneous

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm very confused; I'm not sure where to start.

Any help in figuring out what I need to do would be really appreciated!

Write out the equations that correspond to Ux=0, putting x=(x1,x2,x3). I think the solution you quoted is for a different problem. U is 3x3 and the solution has four dimensional vectors in it.

Oh, oops.

Ux = 0

{{a,b,c},{0,d,e},{0,0,f}} {{x_1},{x_2},{x_3}} = {{0},{0},{0}}

I can see how this gives z = 0 (since f is the nonzero coefficient of in fz = 0) but, I'm confused for the rest.

s3a said:
Oh, oops.

Ux = 0

{{a,b,c},{0,d,e},{0,0,f}} {{x_1},{x_2},{x_3}} = {{0},{0},{0}}

I can see how this gives z = 0 (since f is the nonzero coefficient of in fz = 0) but, I'm confused for the rest.

Put z=0 into the other equations. What do they become?

Oops. I now see that x = y = z = 0. :)

So, because x = y = z or x_1 = x_2 = x_3 (depending on the notation chosen) shows that the vector x = 0 and the problem is solved, right?

s3a said:
Oops. I now see that x = y = z = 0. :)

So, because x = y = z or x_1 = x_2 = x_3 (depending on the notation chosen) shows that the vector x = 0 and the problem is solved, right?

Yes.

Yay. :)

Thanks.

Related to If certain entries of this matrix are all nonzero, show that the only

What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions arranged in rows and columns. It is often used in mathematics, engineering, and computer science.

What does "nonzero" mean?

"Nonzero" refers to any value that is not equal to zero. In a matrix, this means that the entries are not all equal to zero.

Can a matrix have all nonzero entries?

Yes, it is possible for a matrix to have all nonzero entries. This means that all of the values in the matrix are not equal to zero.

What does it mean to "show" something in a matrix?

In this context, "showing" something means to provide a logical proof or explanation that supports the statement. This can involve using mathematical operations or logical reasoning.

Can there be exceptions to the statement "If certain entries of this matrix are all nonzero, show that the only"?

Yes, there can be exceptions to this statement. It is important to carefully consider the specific conditions and values of the matrix in order to determine if the statement holds true.