Construct a matrix whose nullspace consists of all combinations [ ]

Something like that.In summary, the problem is to construct a 4x4 matrix that maps any linear combination of the vectors (2,2,1,0) and (3,1,0,1) to the zero vector. This means that the matrix must be orthogonal to both given vectors. The solution involves obtaining two linearly independent solutions to the equations r.a=0 and r.b=0, and using them as the rows of the matrix.
s3a

Homework Statement

Construct a matrix whose nullspace consists of all combinations of (2,2,1,0) and (3,1,0,1).

Apparently, the answer is:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i={{1,0,-2,-3},{0,1,-2,-1}}

Homework Equations

Ax = b (where x and b are vectors and A is a matrix) (in this case, b = 0)

The Attempt at a Solution

As I understand it, I am supposed to find a matrix that, when multiplied with any vector in a certain vector space, I get b = 0. Assuming that I am right theoretically, I need help to continue from here in practice.

Any help in figuring out how to do this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

s3a said:

Homework Statement

Construct a matrix whose nullspace consists of all combinations of (2,2,1,0) and (3,1,0,1).

Homework Equations

As I understand it, I am supposed to find a matrix that, when multiplied with any vector in a certain vector space, I get b = 0. Assuming that I am right theoretically, I need help to continue from here in practice.

Recall that the nullspace is the span of a set of vectors (i.e those two vectors you have there ) and since your vectors are in ℝ4, you know you have at least 2 free variables right?

s3a said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

To be more specific, you want to construct a matrix that maps any linear combination of <2,2,1,0> and <3,1,0,1> to the zero vector. Presumably the matrix is 4 x 4, but that doesn't seem to be stated in your problem. These two vectors form a subspace of R4, not an entire vector space.

s3a said:

Recall that the nullspace is the span of a set of vectors (i.e those two vectors you have there ) and since your vectors are in ℝ4, you know you have at least 2 free variables right?
Yes, I do. :)

To be more specific, you want to construct a matrix that maps any linear combination of <2,2,1,0> and <3,1,0,1> to the zero vector. Presumably the matrix is 4 x 4, but that doesn't seem to be stated in your problem. These two vectors form a subspace of R4, not an entire vector space.
The answer is this: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...C-2,-1}}

What was done, though? Did they take the vectors and make them row vectors and then perform some row operations? If so, which vector got placed in which row and, what are the row operations that were performed?

s3a said:
Yes, I do. :)

The answer is this: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...C-2,-1}}

What was done, though? Did they take the vectors and make them row vectors and then perform some row operations? If so, which vector got placed in which row and, what are the row operations that were performed?

I would create a 4 x 4 matrix with entries a through p. Use it to multiply your two given vectors to get the 4 x 2 zero matrix. Carry out the multiplication to get 8 equations in 16 unknowns.

I haven't worked the problem, but this is how I would start it.

If a=(2,2,1,0) and b=(3,1,0,1) then every row r of your matrix has to be orthogonal to a and b. So it has to satisfy r.a=0 and r.b=0. It's in the orthogonal subspace to the subspace spanned by a and b. Get two linearly independent solutions to those equations and use them for the rows of the matrix.

Related to Construct a matrix whose nullspace consists of all combinations [ ]

What is a nullspace?

A nullspace, also known as a kernel, is the set of all possible combinations of a matrix that result in a zero vector. In other words, it is the set of all solutions to the equation Ax = 0, where A is the given matrix.

How do you construct a matrix whose nullspace consists of all combinations?

To construct such a matrix, you can start by identifying the number of variables or columns in the matrix. Then, create a matrix with the same number of rows as variables, and fill it with values that will result in a zero vector when multiplied by the original matrix. These values can be chosen arbitrarily, as long as they satisfy the condition of producing a zero vector when multiplied by the original matrix.

What is the significance of a nullspace?

The nullspace of a matrix is important in linear algebra as it helps us determine the solutions to a system of linear equations. It also gives us information about the linear independence of the columns in a matrix and can be used to find the inverse of a matrix.

Can a matrix have more than one nullspace?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple nullspaces. This occurs when the matrix has more than one linearly independent column. In this case, each linearly independent column will have its own nullspace.

How is the nullspace of a matrix related to its rank?

The rank of a matrix is the number of linearly independent columns in the matrix. The dimension of the nullspace is equal to the number of columns in the matrix minus its rank. In other words, the nullspace and the rank are complementary concepts.