Identify Transistor Configuration: Easy Tips & Tutorials

• Thread starter Borg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transistor
In summary: Otherwise you can use a wire stripper to strip the insulation from one end of a wire and use that to touch the emitter and collector of the transistor.
Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've got a bunch of misc. transistors from various sources and I'm not sure what types they are. Is there an easy way to generally determine how a transistor is configured or do I have to find a data sheet each time? It's been a long time since I did anything with electronics. From what I've read, I need to know if it's PNP or NPN and what the arrangement of the collector, base and emmiter is. Any good links to transistor tutorials would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Most digital multimeters have a transistor test function on them. You can use this to learn enough about a transistor to know when to use it.

If you don't already have a multimeter this is an example of what is available now:
http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-92020.html

The little blue circle on that meter is the transistor testing socket. You insert the transistor in different positions until you get a sensible Hfe (current gain) figure on the display. This would be a number between 50 and 500, probably. Not bad for $5.

For $20 you can get better ones that measure temperature, frequency and capacitance as well as all the usual ranges.

vk6kro said:
Most digital multimeters have a transistor test function on them. You can use this to learn enough about a transistor to know when to use it.

If you don't already have a multimeter this is an example of what is available now:
http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-92020.html

The little blue circle on that meter is the transistor testing socket. You insert the transistor in different positions until you get a sensible Hfe (current gain) figure on the display. This would be a number between 50 and 500, probably. Not bad for $5.

For $20 you can get better ones that measure temperature, frequency and capacitance as well as all the usual ranges.

Thanks, vk6kro. It has been a very long time since I worked with electronics. I had no idea that meters had those capabilities. Now that I know what to look for, I found a site with lots of multimeters that looks pretty good (http://www.multimeterwarehouse.com" ). It looks like they have a good assortment of multimeters including transistors, capacitance and even inductance for a reasonable price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good. You need a multimeter or even several multimeters.

Chances are you won't get to use those transistors, but a good multimeter won't go to waste.

If I could raise a personal preference, don't get an "Auto-Range" meter. These can drive you nuts. They can change from measuring microamps to milliamps without you realising it and give crazy effects.

There are meters that have clip-on leads for checking components. These are better if you have a lot of transistors to check.

Related to Identify Transistor Configuration: Easy Tips & Tutorials

1. What are the three types of transistor configurations?

The three types of transistor configurations are common emitter, common base, and common collector.

2. What is the difference between a common emitter and a common collector configuration?

In a common emitter configuration, the input signal is applied to the base terminal and the output is taken from the collector terminal. In a common collector configuration, the input is applied to the base terminal and the output is taken from the emitter terminal.

3. How do I determine the configuration of a transistor?

The configuration of a transistor can be determined by identifying the input and output terminals, as well as the location of the load resistor. The input terminal will be connected to the base, while the output terminal will be connected to either the collector or the emitter, depending on the configuration. The location of the load resistor will also help identify the configuration, as it will be connected between the output terminal and the power supply.

4. What are the advantages of a common emitter configuration?

The common emitter configuration offers high voltage and current gain, making it suitable for applications where amplification is needed. It also provides good input-output phase relationship, making it useful for switching applications.

5. How can I improve the performance of a common emitter configuration?

To improve the performance of a common emitter configuration, you can use a bypass capacitor between the emitter and ground, which will increase the gain and stability of the circuit. You can also use negative feedback to reduce distortion and improve linearity.