MIL-STD-750-3 Transistor Testing

In summary, the standard for testing transistors states that you should reverse the polarity of the sources in order to correctly perform the tests.
MitYeltu
I just want to check my sanity...

I am going to be testing some transistors in a lab very soon per the above mil std. The test methods range from Vce, Vbe, hfe and the breakdown voltages that are listed on the datasheet. The transistor at this point is irrelevant.

Here's what I need to understand. According to the mil std, the circuits are all drawn for PNP trnsistors in one configuration. That's fine. However, I will most,likely be testing NPN transistors. So, if I understand this right, all I need to do is reverse the polarity of the sources and test equipment (ammeter, voltmeter) in order to correctly perform the tests per this std. Is this right?

Engineering news on Phys.org
MitYeltu said:
I just want to check my sanity...

I am going to be testing some transistors in a lab very soon per the above mil std. The test methods range from Vce, Vbe, hfe and the breakdown voltages that are listed on the datasheet. The transistor at this point is irrelevant.

Here's what I need to understand. According to the mil std, the circuits are all drawn for PNP trnsistors in one configuration. That's fine. However, I will most,likely be testing NPN transistors. So, if I understand this right, all I need to do is reverse the polarity of the sources and test equipment (ammeter, voltmeter) in order to correctly perform the tests per this std. Is this right?
Is there a different standard for testing NPN transistors? It seems strange that the standard would leave it up to the tester's imagination to come up with the complementary test circuit setups. It's not that hard, but it could be error-prone.

No, there is not a different methods for NPN. That's why I'm asking. I suspect it is merely a matter of reversing things - keep the emitter, collector and base where they are in the circuits, but simply reverse the polarity on the sources. However, as I said, I'm not positive on this and I really don't like burning the UUTs.

I just found out that the standard is available for free download (I'd assumed it was copyrighted and needed to be purchased). Here is one source:

https://snebulos.mit.edu/projects/reference/MIL-STD/MIL-STD-750-3.pdf

And they mention that the PNP circuits are the only ones shown, and others will be used for NPN transistors:
4.2 Test circuits.
The test circuits shown in the test methods of this test method standard are given as examples which may be used for the measurements. They are not necessarily the only test circuits which can be used; however the manufacturer shall demonstrate to the Government that other test circuits which they may desire to use will give results within the desired accuracy of measurement. Circuits are shown for PNP transistors in one circuit configuration only. They may readily be adapted for NPN devices and for other circuit configurations.
And in the Notes for Figure 3011-1, they do say to reverse the sources for NPN transistors:
NOTES:
1. A PNP device is shown. For NPN types, reverse the polarities of the voltage and bias sources and zener diode
I think in general reversing the polarity of the sources should work for most testing of PNP/NPN transistors, but if you have a question about a particular circuit that you want to verify, go ahead and post the two versions here in this thread so we can double-check them. :smile:

Related to MIL-STD-750-3 Transistor Testing

1. What is MIL-STD-750-3 Transistor Testing?

MIL-STD-750-3 is a military standard for testing and evaluating the reliability and performance of transistors used in electronic equipment. It outlines specific test methods and procedures to ensure that transistors meet the required standards for military use.

2. Why is MIL-STD-750-3 Transistor Testing important?

MIL-STD-750-3 Transistor Testing is important because it ensures that transistors used in military equipment are of high quality and reliability. This is crucial for the proper functioning of military equipment, which often operates in harsh and demanding environments.

3. What types of tests are included in MIL-STD-750-3 Transistor Testing?

There are several types of tests included in MIL-STD-750-3 Transistor Testing, such as static tests, dynamic tests, and environmental tests. Static tests measure the electrical characteristics of the transistor, while dynamic tests assess its performance under varying conditions. Environmental tests evaluate the transistor's ability to withstand extreme temperatures, humidity, and other environmental factors.

4. Who follows MIL-STD-750-3 Transistor Testing?

MIL-STD-750-3 Transistor Testing is followed by manufacturers and suppliers of transistors for military use. It is also used by military organizations to ensure that the transistors they use meet the required standards.

5. Are there any alternatives to MIL-STD-750-3 Transistor Testing?

While MIL-STD-750-3 is the most widely recognized standard for transistor testing in the military, there are also other industry standards that can be used, such as JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) and EIA (Electronic Industries Alliance) standards. However, these standards may not be as comprehensive or specific as MIL-STD-750-3.