Ideal gas volume work expression (adiabatic)

In summary, the homework statement asks for you to solve the first law of thermodynamics and to use the connectedness between R, cp and cv.
krootox217

Homework Statement

I have the following task:
RMZh75X.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

But I don't understand how to solve it. Can somebody help me?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
1) I'd guess they want you to apply the first law of thermodynamics, but I'm not sure.
2) Here you just have to do what the statement says (with a substitution considering ideal gas).
3) Based on the result in 2) you are able to proof that.

You need the ideal gas equation and the connectedness between R, cp and cv

First one: The differential form of the 1º law of thermodynamics is:
[itex]dU = dQ-dW [/itex]
Because it's an adiabatic process, there is no heat exchange, so Q = 0.
[itex]dU = -dW [/itex]
Internal energy is a function of state that depends solely on the quantity of gas - a number n of moles - and the absolute temperature. That can be written as:
[itex]dU = nC_vdT [/itex]
As for work:
[itex]dW = Fdx = PAdx = PdV[/itex]
Where F is force and Adx is the infinitesimal change in volume.
You can now easily see that:
[itex]nC_vdT = -PdV[/itex]
Second: First, remember that:
[itex]C_p = C_v + R[/itex]
For convenience, let's adopt that:
[itex]C_p/C_v = \gamma[/itex]
Using the famous equation, PV=nRT in the expression we derived in the first question:
[itex]nC_vdT = \frac{-nRT}{V}dV[/itex]
[itex]\frac{dT}{T}+\frac{R}{C_v}\frac{dV}{V} = 0[/itex]
And:
[itex]\frac{dT}{T}+(\gamma-1)\frac{dV}{V} = 0 [/itex]
Integrating:
[itex]\int \frac{dT}{T} dT + (\gamma-1)\int \frac{dV}{V} = 0[/itex]
Which results in:
[itex]\ln (TV)^{(\gamma-1)} = cte[/itex]
And finally:
[itex](TV)^{(\gamma-1)} = cte[/itex]
For a initial state [itex](T_1, V_1)[/itex] and a final state [itex](T_2,V_2)[/itex]:
[itex]\frac{V_1}{V_2}^{(\gamma-1)} = \frac{T_2}{T_1}[/itex]
Third: Try to solve the last one for yourself. Now it's easy ;)

Likes krootox217
Thanks for the answers, I try to understand it and if I don't get everything, I ask again if that's ok :)

Related to Ideal gas volume work expression (adiabatic)

1. What is the ideal gas volume work expression?

The ideal gas volume work expression is a mathematical representation of the work done by an ideal gas during an adiabatic process. It is given by the equation W = -nRT ln(V2/V1), where n is the number of moles of the gas, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and V1 and V2 are the initial and final volumes of the gas, respectively.

2. What does the negative sign in the ideal gas volume work expression represent?

The negative sign in the ideal gas volume work expression indicates that work is being done on the gas, rather than the gas doing work on its surroundings. This is because the volume is decreasing during an adiabatic compression, and therefore the gas is being compressed and work is being done on it.

3. How is the ideal gas volume work expression related to the first law of thermodynamics?

The ideal gas volume work expression is a specific form of the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. In the case of an adiabatic process, there is no heat transfer, so the change in internal energy is equal to the work done on the gas, as given by the ideal gas volume work expression.

4. Is the ideal gas volume work expression valid for all gases?

The ideal gas volume work expression is derived from the ideal gas law, which is only applicable to ideal gases. While most real gases behave similarly to ideal gases under certain conditions, the ideal gas volume work expression may not accurately describe the work done by non-ideal gases. In these cases, a more complex equation, such as the van der Waals equation, may be used.

5. What are some real-world applications of the ideal gas volume work expression?

The ideal gas volume work expression is commonly used in thermodynamics and engineering to analyze and design adiabatic systems, such as gas compressors and turbines. It is also used in the study of atmospheric science to understand the behavior of air masses and the formation of weather systems. Additionally, the ideal gas volume work expression is used in the design of internal combustion engines, where the expansion and compression of gases is a key factor in their operation.