Ideal gas: two tanks connected by a cylinder

In summary: Yes, that all makes sense, except for "eventually". So presumably the question is, what fraction of the 1 mol goes into B?
A13235378
Homework Statement
Two tanks A and B, are connected with a cylinder of negligible volume. Tank A has a temperature of 200k and tank B has a temperature of 300k, both have the same volume. Eventually, 1 mol is inserted into the cylinder. What is the final amount of moles in tank B?
Relevant Equations
PV = nRT
I ASSUME THAT THE PRESSES OF THE TWO CONTAINERS WILL BE EQUAL IN THE FINAL (STATIONARY REGIME). SO

Pa = Pb

naRTa/V = nbRTb/V

naTa = nbTb

Than , I just need to set up a system

My question is , so, will the two pressures at the end be the same? And as for the temperatures, can I also say they will be the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you assume that the gas in the 300 K tank is at 300 K and the gas in the 200 K tank is at 200 K, can the pressures be the same?

The set up is not entirely clear. I assume the tanks start at the same pressure. Are they the same volume? Maybe we don't need to know.
"Eventually" suggests temperature equalises, and we can take pressure to be almost equal throughout.
1mol "inserted" into a cylinder of negligible volume is an odd way to describe it. I assume they mean 1 mol moves through the cylinder from A to B.

If so, what will the final temperature be?

Likes Lnewqban
haruspex said:
"Eventually" suggests temperature equalises, and we can take pressure to be almost equal throughout.
1mol "inserted" into a cylinder of negligible volume is an odd way to describe it. I assume they mean 1 mol moves through the cylinder from A to B.
I interpreted the statement of the problem as saying that 1 mole of gas is inserted in the cylinder between the two tanks and it then redistributes itself between the tanks. The negligible volume has to do with ignoring any gas that might occupy it compared with the amount of gas in either cylinder. I believe the tanks are each held at constant temperature as the redistribution occurs. OP has the right equation but it seems that he does not understand it completely hence the question whether the pressures are equal.

kuruman said:
I interpreted the statement of the problem as saying that 1 mole of gas is inserted in the cylinder between the two tanks and it then redistributes itself between the tanks. The negligible volume has to do with ignoring any gas that might occupy it compared with the amount of gas in either cylinder. I believe the tanks are each held at constant temperature as the redistribution occurs. OP has the right equation but it seems that he does not understand it completely hence the question whether the pressures are equal.
Yes, that all makes sense, except for "eventually".
So presumably the question is, what fraction of the 1 mol goes into B?

A13235378 said:
I ASSUME THAT THE PRESSES OF THE TWO CONTAINERS WILL BE EQUAL IN THE FINAL (STATIONARY REGIME). SO

Pa = Pb

naRTa/V = nbRTb/V

naTa = nbTb

Than , I just need to set up a system

My question is , so, will the two pressures at the end be the same? And as for the temperatures, can I also say they will be the same?
I undersrand the problem that both tanks are in heat baths, A at 200 k, B at 300 K. The tanks are empty at the beginning.One moll gas is inserted into the connecting cílinder, and it will ne distributed among the tanks. As the gas moves freely through the cylinder, the pressure will be the same in both tanks at the end. The temperetures are determined by the heat baths, they stay the same 200 K in A and 300 K in B. You need to fnd nA and nB, knowing that nA+nB=1

Likes Lnewqban and Delta2

Related to Ideal gas: two tanks connected by a cylinder

1. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of the gas are related by the equation PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

2. How are two tanks connected by a cylinder?

In this scenario, the two tanks are connected by a cylinder that acts as a conduit for the gas to flow between the two tanks. The cylinder has a valve that can be opened or closed to control the flow of gas.

3. What happens to the pressure, volume, and temperature when the valve is opened?

When the valve is opened, the gas will flow from the tank with higher pressure to the tank with lower pressure. As the gas flows, the volume in the first tank will decrease and the volume in the second tank will increase, while the pressure and temperature will remain constant.

4. How does the number of moles of gas affect the system?

The number of moles of gas in each tank will affect the pressure and volume of the gas. As the number of moles increases, the pressure and volume will also increase. This is because there are more gas particles present, leading to more collisions and a higher pressure. The ideal gas law also shows that an increase in moles will result in an increase in volume, assuming the pressure and temperature remain constant.

5. What happens to the gas when the temperature changes?

According to the ideal gas law, when the temperature of a gas increases, the volume and pressure will also increase, assuming the number of moles remains constant. This is because the gas particles will have more kinetic energy and will collide more frequently, leading to an increase in pressure. Similarly, a decrease in temperature will result in a decrease in volume and pressure.