Ideal Gas and finding final pressure

In summary, the conversation discusses how to algebraically solve a problem involving the pressure of an automobile tire being inflated to 28% of its original volume at a higher temperature. The solution involves using the combined gas equation, with the constant R being equal on both sides. The number of moles, n, is also considered a constant in this situation.
puniverse

Homework Statement

I'm trying to understand algebraically how the solution was arrived at for the following problem.

Automobile tire at normal atmosphere at 10 deg C.
Inflating the tire to 28% of original volume with an increase in temp to 40 deg C
What is the pressure?

Homework Equations

PV = nRT where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is a constant, and T is the temp

The Attempt at a Solution

The the solution is given in what appears as a ratio between the initial values and final values, and I'm just not understanding algebraically how the equation in step 1. was derived. Why would I divide the final values with the initial values?

1. (P_2)(V_2) / (P_1)(V_1) = nRT_2 / nRT_1

2. (P_2)(.28V_1) / (1 atm)(V_1) = T_2 / T_1

3. (.28)P_2) / (1 atm) = 313.15 K / 283.15 K

4. P_2 = 1.106 / .28

5. P_2 = 3.95 atm

Thanks for whatever enlightenment you might be able to give.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks to me as if you need to use the Combined gas equation.

Welcome to PF puniverse!

In this case, you can take it as this R = PV/nT, and since R is a constant regardless or what happens, they equate both sides together and shifted the variables around.

Oh, I understand that. So it's like:

1. nR_1 = (P_1)(V_1) / T_1

2. nR_2 = (P_2)(V_2) / T_2

3. nR_1 = nR_2

4. (P_1)(V_1) / T_1 = (P_2)(V_2) / T_2 ... and then solve for P_2

Yup, that works. Thanks!

Quick question tho, would I be misunderstanding if I considered n a constant also? I mean, n as in the number of moles doesn't change in this situation does it?

In this situation, n is constant, since they are not pumping more air, but instead, increasing the temperature of the air inside. So yeah. nR is in fact constant, for this question.

Related to Ideal Gas and finding final pressure

1. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas composed of particles that have negligible volume and do not interact with each other. It follows the ideal gas law, which describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles for an ideal gas.

2. How do you find the final pressure of an ideal gas?

To find the final pressure of an ideal gas, you can use the ideal gas law: PV = nRT. Plug in the initial pressure, volume, number of moles, and temperature, then solve for the final pressure. Alternatively, you can use the combined gas law if the initial and final conditions are not at constant temperature.

3. Can the ideal gas law be applied to real gases?

The ideal gas law can be a good approximation for real gases under certain conditions, such as low pressure and high temperature. However, it may not accurately describe the behavior of real gases at high pressures or low temperatures.

4. How does temperature affect the final pressure of an ideal gas?

According to the ideal gas law, as temperature increases, the final pressure of an ideal gas will also increase, assuming all other variables are held constant. This is because as temperature increases, the average kinetic energy of the gas particles increases, causing them to collide with the container walls more frequently and with greater force, resulting in a higher pressure.

5. What is the unit of pressure in the ideal gas law?

The unit of pressure in the ideal gas law is typically expressed in Pascals (Pa) or atmospheres (atm). However, other units such as millimeters of mercury (mmHg) and pounds per square inch (psi) may also be used depending on the context.