I might have decided on a degree, but need some input

• Programs
  • Thread starter ResolutE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree Input
In summary, the individual is currently enrolled in a community college but is planning to transfer to a 4-year college. They have decided to switch from a pre-med major to a computer science major because they feel it is more marketable and will allow them to use their problem-solving skills. They have already taken courses in biology, chemistry, English, and calculus, but are unsure of which other courses to take for the fall semester. They are seeking advice on which courses would be beneficial for a computer science degree and if their previous courses will transfer to the 4-year college. They are also considering taking linear algebra or differential equations and are seeking advice on which one would be more useful for a computer science degree.
ResolutE
After MUCH consideration, I think I want to be a software engineer.

Why? Because I think it's the most marketable degree that will suit my skills in math / problem solving / logic.

I am currently going to a 2 year community college. The fall will be my last semester at this 2 year college before I transfer to a 4 year. I was originally premed because I just thought "whatever" and I would be making lots of money. But after being exposed to college more, and having some time to think over the summer, I really want to switch. I want a job where I can be very smart, and use my problem solving skills. I was looking into a math / physics degree, but it seems these are not marketable. So right now, I think I might major in CS and minor in math.

For the fall, I am registered for a "Computer Concepts and Programming" course, and based on its description looks like an intro to CS, I would learn some general stuff about computers and java language, as well as a survey of other languages.

I am making this thread because I need your help with which other courses I should register for, for the fall (classes are closing out!). So far I have taken these courses (I was premed).

2 semesters of bio
2 semesters of chem
2 semesters of English
3 semesters worth of Calculus (up to multivariable calculus)
1 social science

I think it would be wise to register for useful courses that are not directly in the CS category for two reasons.

1. I am not 100% sure I want to commit to CS yet.
2. It's probably better to take CS courses at a 4 year college instead of my 2 year community college.

So what are courses I should take? I don't want to waste any more time taking courses I don't need, because I think biology and chem might have been wasted. Should I take statistics, differential equations, physics, or linear algebra? Are any of these requires for most CS degrees? Would my chem / bio fill a science requirement, meaning I would not have to take physics (I actually like physics but I really don't want to take anymore courses I don't need). Can anyone give me some advice on what to register for please?

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be a good idea to consult with an academic guidance councilor at the 4-year college that you want to transfer to. Do it as soon as you can, if classes are getting filled and closed out. That way you can find out which courses are transferable, which might not fit the requirements of the 4-year college (and might have to be retaken), and which ones might be applicable to more than one major in case you decide that CS is not for you.

Good luck, any way you decide, but don't let this decision wait.

turbo said:
It would be a good idea to consult with an academic guidance councilor at the 4-year college that you want to transfer to. Do it as soon as you can, if classes are getting filled and closed out. That way you can find out which courses are transferable, which might not fit the requirements of the 4-year college (and might have to be retaken), and which ones might be applicable to more than one major in case you decide that CS is not for you.

Good luck, any way you decide, but don't let this decision wait.

I don't know what college I'm transferring to yet. I think it will depend on which ever one offers scholarships to go to.

I really need to just decide on which courses to take in the fall, does anyone have any suggestions? In general, what is needed for CS degree besides CS courses, is what I'm asking.

ResolutE said:
I I don't want to waste any more time taking courses I don't need, because I think biology and chem might have been wasted.

There's always computational biology.

ResolutE said:
I don't know what college I'm transferring to yet. I think it will depend on which ever one offers scholarships to go to.

I really need to just decide on which courses to take in the fall, does anyone have any suggestions? In general, what is needed for CS degree besides CS courses, is what I'm asking.
I can't offer any more advice, I'm afraid. The transferability of your prior courses, the applicability of them to your major, etc, are going to vary, depending on where you plan to earn your 4-year degree. You really have to do the leg-work to figure out which colleges will let you transfer the 2-year credits and which will require a lot of other courses to meet their requirements.

This is going to take detailed work on your part, because there are no general rules. You might find a really great fit with your previous education, but there may be exceptions that trip you up.

Good luck.

Could anyone at least tell me if I should be taking linear algebra or differential equations?

Should I be taking linear algebra? Do CS people take this course? I think I read somewhere that they do... in which case I need to drop differential equations and pick this up.

Any advice on any courses?

Related to I might have decided on a degree, but need some input

What factors should I consider when deciding on a degree?

When deciding on a degree, it's important to consider your interests, strengths, career goals, and the job market demand for different fields. You should also research the curriculum and opportunities available in the degree program.

How can I get input from others on my degree decision?

You can get input from others by talking to academic advisors, career counselors, professors, and professionals in the field you are considering. You can also reach out to current students or alumni of the degree program to get their perspective.

What if I am still unsure about my degree decision?

If you are still unsure about your degree decision, consider taking a career assessment test or exploring different majors through introductory courses or internships. It's also important to keep an open mind and be willing to change your plans if necessary.

How can I ensure that my chosen degree will lead to a successful career?

To ensure that your chosen degree will lead to a successful career, research the job market demand and potential salary for graduates in that field. It's also important to gain hands-on experience through internships or part-time jobs and to network with professionals in the field.

What if I change my mind about my degree after starting it?

If you change your mind about your degree after starting it, it's important to speak with your academic advisor and explore your options. You may be able to switch to a different major or add a minor to complement your interests. It's never too late to make a change and pursue a degree that truly aligns with your goals and passions.