I made a mistake on Professor's Name, what should I do?

• Thread starter yicong2011
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mistake
In summary, the conversation is about a person who made a mistake in their email to their professor, misspelling the professor's name as "Kaufman" instead of "Kaufmann". They are worried about the mistake and ask for advice on what to do. The other person reassures them that it's a common mistake and suggests sending a brief apology email to show they are conscientious. They also mention that it's not as serious as miss-naming the professor.
yicong2011
I sent an E-mail to my professor Kaufmann, but I made a mistake on his name. I typed Kaufman, not Kaufmann. What should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm usually one to worry about many small things in my life. This question, is what I call preposterous.

People make mistakes. It's not like you didn't know his name, you just made a typographical error. He probably won't even notice it in all honesty.

he will actually probably hate you forever :)

If I were your prof, you just failed the class.

OK, a serious answer: this happens all the time. A brief email apologizing for the typo will help him think of you as conscientious rather than careless.

This is just a miss-spelling mistake, take it easy, it happens. It's not like miss-naming your prof, right! Ask me, I know. :biggrin:

Related to I made a mistake on Professor's Name, what should I do?

1. What is the best course of action after realizing I made a mistake on the professor's name?

The best course of action is to address the mistake as soon as possible. Contact the professor directly and apologize for the error. Be sure to correct the mistake in any written or electronic communication and make a note of the correction for future reference.

2. Will the mistake affect my relationship with the professor?

It is possible that the professor may be initially upset or disappointed with the mistake, but this is unlikely to have a significant impact on your relationship. As long as you take responsibility for the error and make efforts to correct it, the professor is likely to understand and move on.

3. Should I inform anyone else about the mistake?

If the mistake was made in a class assignment or project, it is important to inform any other parties who may be affected by the error (e.g. group members, classmates). This will prevent any confusion or misunderstandings in the future.

4. Can I still receive a good grade despite the mistake?

The mistake on the professor's name should not have a direct impact on your grade. However, if the mistake was made in a written assignment or paper, it is important to make the necessary corrections to ensure the accuracy and professionalism of your work.

5. How can I prevent making this mistake in the future?

To prevent making similar mistakes in the future, make sure to double check the spelling and accuracy of all names and information before submitting any assignments or communicating with the professor. If you are unsure of the correct spelling, do not hesitate to ask the professor or a classmate for clarification.