I just don't know what to study or major in

• Programs
  • Thread starter Rebelarch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major Study
In summary: It provides a strong foundation in math and science, and also allows for a mix of hands-on and problem-solving work. There is a high demand for engineers, so job security is usually not a concern. Additionally, there is room for advancement and continued education while working. However, engineering can also involve rote memory tasks, which may not be suitable for someone with ADD. It's important to carefully consider your strengths and limitations before pursuing this field.
Rebelarch
I'm a liberal arts major, and I can see that going no where fast. I love math and science, though I only have very basic knowledge of each. I grew up poor, and went to one of the lowest ranked school districts in my state so I wasn't really exposed to any of it.

I always thought I hated school but now I know it's bc the classrooms were like conflict zones with disruptive students and screaming teachers slamming things around. I've been an excellent student in college and enjoy studying.

When I realized I needed a new major, I incorrectly thought I would just get a masters in a stem major. Unfortunately I won't meet any pre reqs bc I took math and science for liberal arts.

I'm planning on starting over and taking the challenging stem classes I missed, but I still don't have a clear path of what to study or work towards.

Would engineering give me a strong base to do whatever I want after?

The three things I really want -
is a needed professional career with excellent opportunity (little competition, job security)
To start working in the next few years then continue my education as I work
I'm on the design and planning side. I have ADD and procedural / rote memory tasks have a severe negative effect on my mental health.

Thank you for any replies, I really appreciate any advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rebelarch said:
Would engineering give me a strong base to do whatever I want after?
Engineering offers an extremely wide array of career opportunities.

Related to I just don't know what to study or major in

1. What should I do if I am feeling undecided about my major?

It is completely normal to feel unsure about your major or career path. The first step is to explore your interests, values, and skills to get a better sense of what you are passionate about. You can also talk to academic advisors, career counselors, and professionals in different fields to gain insight and gather information about potential majors.

2. How can I determine which major is right for me?

Consider taking introductory courses in different subjects to see which ones you enjoy the most. You can also participate in internships, job shadowing, and volunteer work to gain hands-on experience and get a better understanding of different career paths. Additionally, think about your long-term goals and how different majors can help you achieve them.

3. Can I change my major if I am not happy with my choice?

Yes, you can change your major at any point in your academic journey. It is important to remember that your major does not define your entire career and you can always pursue additional education or training in a different field later on. However, it is best to make a well-informed decision and consider the potential consequences of changing your major, such as additional time and financial investment.

4. Will choosing the "wrong" major negatively impact my future career?

Not necessarily. While your major can play a role in your career path, it is not the only determining factor. Your skills, experience, and network can also greatly influence your career opportunities. Remember that many successful professionals have changed their career paths and even their majors multiple times throughout their lives.

5. Is it okay to choose a major based on potential job prospects and salary?

While job prospects and salary can be important factors to consider, they should not be the sole basis for choosing a major. It is crucial to also consider your interests, values, and skills to ensure that you will be satisfied and successful in your chosen field. Keep in mind that job markets and salary trends can change, and it is important to pursue a career that you are passionate about and enjoy.