I failed in my engineering exam

In summary, the person is reminiscing about their past as a successful student and their struggles in their current engineering program. They have failed multiple subjects and are seeking advice on how to improve. They are considering talking to their advisor and possibly changing their major.
snshusat161
Hi all,

I remember my school days when i used to be a very excellent student of my class. I got admission in an engineering institute. I moved to other city for my studies. I rented a room to live in that strange new crowded city. No mom there. I've always been a mamma's boy.

With the help of concepts I've built in my school, i was able to clear my first year in engineering (with poor grades). But as things are getting advance now, i am failing. I failed in my third semester (here, third semester = 2nd year, 1st exam). I failed in one subject. Now in fourth semester (fourth semester = 2nd year, 2nd exam). This time i failed in three subjects. How do i cope up with all these pain. How do i make myself a better student like i used to be. I see no way. Please help me.

beside, every other student have to attempt 6 paper this semester but i have to attempt 6 (regular) + 3 (failed ones)

Physics news on Phys.org
Each course in college builds on concepts from earlier courses and so naturally they get harder each term. My suggestion is to talk with your advisor to see what can be done.

Is there a few concepts that are really troubling you? Are you sleeping well? Are you distracted in some way? Try to determine what areas you are having problems in. Don't be so hard on yourself. Go talk to your advisor.

When I was in my junior year things got really tough. It was when everything was new to me and I was working 30 hours per week as a commuting student. I just couldn't get my homework in on time and my grades suffered. I persevered and took fewer less challenging courses to get back on track.

Sometimes we just need to step back and look at where we're going. Maybe a change of major is something to consider? From engineering to say comp sci if you were savvy in computers or physics if you did well there.

Related to I failed in my engineering exam

What went wrong in my engineering exam?

There could be multiple reasons for your failure in the exam. Some possible factors could be lack of preparation, not understanding the concepts well, not managing your time effectively during the exam, or dealing with unexpected personal or academic challenges.

Is engineering not the right field for me?

It is important to remember that one failed exam does not determine your entire future in the field of engineering. It is normal to face challenges and setbacks in any career path. Instead of giving up, try to identify the areas where you struggled and work on improving them.

Will failing this exam affect my future career prospects?

Failing an engineering exam may not have a significant impact on your future career prospects. Employers tend to look at a combination of factors such as your overall academic performance, practical skills, and relevant experience. However, it is important to learn from your mistakes and improve in order to excel in your chosen field.

What can I do to pass the exam next time?

First, try to analyze why you failed the exam. Did you struggle with a certain topic or question type? Did you run out of time? Use this information to create a study plan for your next attempt. Seek help from your professors or peers, practice solving problems, and improve your time management skills.

How can I cope with the disappointment of failing the exam?

Failing an exam can be emotionally challenging, but it is important to remember that it does not define your worth as a student or as an individual. Take some time to process your feelings, and then focus on your next steps. Seek support from friends, family, or a counselor if needed. Remember that failure is a part of the learning process, and it can lead to growth and improvement.