I am looking to major in Nuclear Engineering

In summary: Ultimately, it depends on what you want to do and which degree will best help you get there.It will give you the minimum qualifications needed for different opportunities than someone with a bachelors degree. A Masters provides more depth than breadth of content in the field and basic researching skills. A PhD provides the super specialization in a subset of the field and proper training in managing and conducting research... both of which are extremely important in the field of nuclear engineering. Ultimately, it depends on what you want to do and which degree will best help you get there.
Haindi
What colleges should I apply to for nuclear engineering? Also is going to graduate school fjjor nuclear engineering worth the cost?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are looking for nuclear engineering colleges a quick google search is good, but this wikipedia listing is pretty accurate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclea...lleges_and_universities_in_the_United_States/ . I'd highly avoid schools that do not have a full bachelors degree program in nuclear engineering. A minor in nuclear engineering is always hit or miss.

Most nuclear engineering graduate programs fully fund PhD and some masters students so there isn't really a cost unless you are doing just a non-thesis masters.

I am thinking of Idaho State, Oregon State, Rensselear Polytechnic Institute, or Colorado School of Mines. I saw that Mines did not offer a bachelors in Nuclear Engineering, so that probably isn't the one for undergraduates.

Haindi said:
I am thinking of Idaho State, Oregon State, Rensselear Polytechnic Institute, or Colorado School of Mines. I saw that Mines did not offer a bachelors in Nuclear Engineering, so that probably isn't the one for undergraduates.

Just curious, why those schools?

They are closest to my current location where my family is, in Washington State. What schools do you recommend?

Haindi said:
They are closest to my current location where my family is, in Washington State. What schools do you recommend?

How critical is it that you live near your family? RPI is in New York btw.

I don't think it is a major factor for me personally, if there are better colleges with Nuclear Engineering then by all means let me know.

Haindi said:
I don't think it is a major factor for me personally, if there are better colleges with Nuclear Engineering then by all means let me know.

Since that's the case... I'd recommend Oregon State University, Texas A&M University, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Purdue University, and the others on this list: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...ineering-schools/nuclear-engineering-rankings.

These are all pretty good schools, but I'd look up the programs themselves and see if their programs seem to fit you. Also, try and avoid schools with less than 7 assistant/associate/full professors in the nuclear engineering program itself. Anything less is usually indicative of an unhealthy program and lacking undergraduate research and other opportunities. Also, make sure you actually like the city/state you end up in. Some of these schools might be in areas you will not be personally happy to live in.

Oregon State University I believe is my number one choice so far. But if I am going to OSU for my undergrad stuff, I can switch universities for graduate degrees, right? Also the DOD scholarship, if I took that would that limit my opportunities for graduate work?

Haindi said:
Oregon State University I believe is my number one choice so far. But if I am going to OSU for my undergrad stuff, I can switch universities for graduate degrees, right? Also the DOD scholarship, if I took that would that limit my opportunities for graduate work?

I know a few people at OSU and I'm really impressed with their program. You are not required to go to the same school for all of your degrees. In fact, in some cases having all your degrees from the same place is frowned upon and potentially not as useful as having gone to different schools for undergraduate and graduate degrees. Also, can you be more specific about the scholarship? Just saying DoD isn't very specific.

The DoD scholarship is a scholarship from the government that pays for your college tuition for x years you choose to attend. The student then gets a job out of college working for the DoD (required to work for the same x years). The work is after college of course.

Ah, yes that is it. I wasn't sure of the name sorry, but that is the scholarship I was referring to.

I'd highly recommend you look for other funding sources for your undergraduate degree. If you receive that scholarship you won't be able to do your graduate work directly after your undergraduate degree.

The question then is: Do you recommend I pursue a graduate degree in nuclear engineering?

Haindi said:
The question then is: Do you recommend I pursue a graduate degree in nuclear engineering?

That's entirely dependent on what you want to do in life.

How would getting a graduates degree in NE change my perspective future in that field as opposed to going with only a bachelors?

Haindi said:
How would getting a graduates degree in NE change my perspective future in that field as opposed to going with only a bachelors?

It will give you the minimum qualifications needed for different opportunities than someone with a bachelors degree. A Masters provides more depth than breadth of content in the field and basic researching skills. A PhD provides the super specialization in a subset of the field and proper training in managing and conducting research projects.

Related to I am looking to major in Nuclear Engineering

1. What is Nuclear Engineering?

Nuclear Engineering is a field of engineering that involves the application of nuclear processes, such as nuclear fission and fusion, to generate power and create useful products. It also involves the design, construction, and maintenance of nuclear power plants, as well as the safe disposal of nuclear waste.

2. What are the job opportunities for someone with a major in Nuclear Engineering?

There are a variety of job opportunities for those with a major in Nuclear Engineering. Some common career paths include working in nuclear power plants, research and development, nuclear waste management, and nuclear safety. Graduates may also find opportunities in government agencies, such as the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, or in the private sector.

3. What skills are necessary for a career in Nuclear Engineering?

Some important skills for a career in Nuclear Engineering include strong math and science skills, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and a strong understanding of nuclear physics and engineering principles. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important, as nuclear engineers often work on projects with a team.

4. Is Nuclear Engineering a safe career choice?

Yes, Nuclear Engineering can be a safe career choice. Nuclear power plants have strict safety regulations and protocols in place to ensure the safety of workers and the general public. Nuclear engineers also play a crucial role in designing and implementing safety measures to prevent accidents and minimize any potential risks.

5. What is the future outlook for Nuclear Engineering?

The future outlook for Nuclear Engineering is positive. As the demand for clean and sustainable energy sources increases, nuclear power is expected to play a significant role in meeting this demand. There will also be a need for nuclear engineers to research and develop new technologies for nuclear power plants and to safely manage nuclear waste. This makes Nuclear Engineering a promising and in-demand field for future job opportunities.