Hydrostatic Pressure Force must be perpendicular

In summary, the hydrostatic pressure force must be perpendicular to the surface of a container because the non-perpendicular components of each molecule's impact cancel out on average, leaving only the perpendicular components to impart a force. This is not a simplification, but rather a result of the large number of molecules involved in the fluid and their impacts from different angles.
astromajor
Hydrostatic Pressure Force "must" be perpendicular

Hi, I'm taking AP Physics B and we started learning about fluids and pressure. My teacher told me that the pressure of a fluid acting in a a container only applies a perpendicular force to the sides, which doesn't make sense. If you 'zoomed in', molecules could strike the surface of the container at any angle, right? So couldn't the forces be in anything from parallel (well, not really) to perpendicular, and everything in between? Is it just a simplification or literally only the molecules that hit the surface perpendicularly that impart a force? Thanks for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org

astromajor said:
Hi, I'm taking AP Physics B and we started learning about fluids and pressure. My teacher told me that the pressure of a fluid acting in a a container only applies a perpendicular force to the sides, which doesn't make sense. If you 'zoomed in', molecules could strike the surface of the container at any angle, right? So couldn't the forces be in anything from parallel (well, not really) to perpendicular, and everything in between? Is it just a simplification or literally only the molecules that hit the surface perpendicularly that impart a force? Thanks for your time!

Neither. It's not a simplification and it's not the case that only the perpendicular-hitting molecules impart a force. There are a very large number of molecules involved, so that on average, for every molecule that strikes from one side of perpendicular another molecule has just struck or is about to strike from the other side of perpendicular. Thus, the non-perpendicular components of each impact cancel out on average, leaving only the perpendicular components to impart a force.

Likes andyrk

Related to Hydrostatic Pressure Force must be perpendicular

1. What is hydrostatic pressure force?

Hydrostatic pressure force is the force exerted by a fluid on an object in contact with it. It is caused by the weight of the fluid above the object and is perpendicular to the surface of the object.

2. Why must hydrostatic pressure force be perpendicular?

Hydrostatic pressure force must be perpendicular because the force is a result of the weight of the fluid directly above the object. If the force were not perpendicular, it would cause the object to move in a direction other than straight down.

3. What happens if hydrostatic pressure force is not perpendicular?

If hydrostatic pressure force is not perpendicular, it will create a net force on the object in a direction other than straight down. This can cause the object to move or change its orientation, depending on the direction of the force.

4. How is the magnitude of hydrostatic pressure force determined?

The magnitude of hydrostatic pressure force is determined by the density of the fluid, the depth of the fluid, and the area of the object in contact with the fluid. The equation for calculating hydrostatic pressure force is F = ρghA, where ρ is the density, g is the gravitational acceleration, h is the depth, and A is the area.

5. What are some real-world applications of hydrostatic pressure force?

Hydrostatic pressure force is used in many engineering applications, such as designing dams, pipelines, and submarines. It is also important in understanding the behavior of fluids in natural systems, such as the ocean and atmosphere.