Hydrostatics: What remains the same in a fluid?

In summary: Pressure and force are related and can vary depending on the cross-sectional area and height. In a horizontal pipe, the pressure must be higher upstream to accelerate the fluid downstream. The energy comes from the forces acting on the fluid and the change in momentum.
21joanna12
I am looking into hydrostatics, but am now very confused about what has to remain constant in an incompressible fluid. I initially thought that pressure has to be the same all throughout the fluid, and that this is the reason why you can use water or oil when raising a car- you apply a small force to a small area, and for the pressue to be the same as the fluid comes up on the other side there is a greater force exerted by this fluid on raising the car because the 'arm' has a greater cross-sectional area. So then the pressure would be the same throughout the pipe, but the force would not be.

However thinking about it in terms of work, when you have an incompressible fluid in a pipe which is initially wider but then it gets narrower, then the speed of the fluid in the narrower portion of the pipe must be greater. I was wondering about where the extra kinetic energy comes from, and I found this answer :
"That means that its kinetic energy is increasing. Where is it getting the energy from? The answer is that it can only do so if the pressure in the narrower pipe is lower than in the wider pipe."

Now I am really confused: is it pressure or force that is transmitted through an incompressible fluid, or neither?

Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
21joanna12 said:
what has to remain constant in an incompressible fluid
Density?

A.T. said:
Density?
But does the force/pressure/some combination of these not have to be the same?

To expand a bit: By definition of incompressibility, the constant quantity is density. The fluid, for a static solution, must still obey the relation ##dP = \rho g dh##. An implication of this is that if you increase the pressure at one point of the fluid, it must increase everywhere as a result, giving you the same increase in force per area.

That being said, the force on a larger area will be greater. However, if you press down in the small area, the surface of that area moves down more than the surface of the large area moves up and energy id neither gained or lost. The principle is similar to a lever.

Likes 21joanna12
21joanna12 said:
what has to remain constant in an incompressible fluid
Look at the definitions of the two underlined words.

Okay so I see that pressure will vary depending on height, and the force will be different depending on the cross sectional area at the same height (where pressure is the same), but can pressure change in a horizontal pipe? In my original post, one of the things that confused me was when fluid was going from a pipe that was wider and then narrower, then the pressure had to decrease so that there was a net force and work was done on the fluid. Is this not a closed system then? Where does the energy come from? When it comes to gravity, when the kinetic energy increases it is because potential energy is converted into kinetic, both of the object and the Earth as they experience equal and opposite forces. Where is the 'opposite force' in this system. and where does the energy come from?

In the case of a horizontal pipe, it's an F = ma kind of thing. If the velocity downstream is higher than the velocity upstream, the fluid must be accelerating. For this to happen, you have to apply a higher pressure upstream than downstream. The forces acting on the fluid in the "control volume" between the upstream and downstream locations are the upstream pressure times the upstream area minus the downstream pressure times the downstream area. There is also an axial force contribution from the pressure at the converging wall acting on the fluid. This must all be equal the rate of change of momentum of the fluid contained between the upstream and downstream locations.

Chet

Related to Hydrostatics: What remains the same in a fluid?

1. What is hydrostatics?

Hydrostatics is the study of fluids at rest and the forces acting on them. It is a branch of fluid mechanics that deals with the behavior of fluids under the influence of gravity.

2. What is meant by a fluid?

A fluid is a substance that can flow and take the shape of its container. This includes liquids and gases, but not solids.

3. What remains the same in a fluid?

In a fluid at rest, the pressure remains the same at all points. This is known as Pascal's law, which states that the pressure exerted by a fluid is transmitted equally in all directions.

4. Why does pressure increase with depth in a fluid?

Pressure increases with depth in a fluid due to the weight of the fluid above pushing down. This is known as hydrostatic pressure and is directly proportional to the depth and density of the fluid.

5. How does the shape of a container affect the pressure in a fluid?

The shape of a container does not affect the pressure in a fluid, as long as the depth and density of the fluid remain constant. This is because the pressure in a fluid is determined by the weight of the fluid above, not the shape of the container.