Humidifier disk and wetted area if partially submerged

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a circular disk used in a humidifier. The goal is to determine the height at which to fix the center so that the exposed wet surface area is maximized. The various steps involved in solving the problem are listed, including finding the dry and wet surface areas, as well as the area of the sector and triangle within the circle. The conversation also mentions using Derive to find the desired area and ultimately, the value of h for disks of different radii. The individual seeking help also clarifies that the disk is vertical and asks for assistance with parts 6-8 of the problem.
jstew2189
I seem to have down 1-4 on this question but I am struggling on the rest... any help??

A circular disk of fixed radius r is used in a humidifier. It is partially submerged in water and rotates on its center. The goal is to determine the height above the water, h, at which to fix the center so that the exposed wet surface area is maximized.

1. Find the surface area that is dry, i.e. never is submerged as the disk rotates, as a function of r and/or h.
2. Find the total surface area that is wet as a function of r and/or h. (i.e. either submerged or exposed)
3. Find the area of the sector of the circle that is created by radii that intersect the water as function of r and/or h. (HINT: Use theta as half of the angle from radius to radius of your sector.)
4. Find the area of the triangle that is in this sector, but above the water, as a function of r and/or h.
5. Find the surface area that is submerged at any time as a function of r and/or h.
6. Subtract to find the desired area, area that is exposed and wet, as a function of r and/or h.
7. Define this function in Derive and follow our standard method for finding maxima and minima. Remember that r is the fixed radius and h is the height, which we can change. (Hint: Recall 0 < h < r so you know the endpoints and are trying to find the absolute max on this interval. )
8. Note your final answer should be a way to find h as a function of r. If Derive will not give an expression of the form h =, with only a function of r on the right side, you may need to do some algebra yourself to find a nice form.
9. For disks of radii 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 give the value for h that should be used.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any thoughts? Is this homework?

First of all, state the problem correctly! Is the disk horizontal or vertical? If horizontal, the problem is trivial. If vertical (which I think is the correct assumption) it's only a little harder.

the disk is vertical... and so far i have the following...

1. Dry Area = pi*h^2
2. Wet area = pi*r^2 - pi*h^2
3. (acos(h/r))/2 * r^2 = sector area
4. sqrt(r^2-h^2)*h = area of triangle

im working on 5 being the wet area - (sector area - area of triangle)...

and this is a challenge problem from my professor for an extra point...

Last edited:
ANY MORE HELP? with parts 6-8

Related to Humidifier disk and wetted area if partially submerged

1. What is a humidifier disk?

A humidifier disk is a component of a humidifier that is responsible for generating mist or steam. It is typically made of a porous material, such as ceramic or foam, that absorbs water and allows it to evaporate into the air.

2. How does a humidifier disk work?

A humidifier disk works by absorbing water from a reservoir and then using a fan or ultrasonic vibrations to turn the water into a fine mist or steam. The mist is then released into the air, increasing the humidity levels in the surrounding area.

3. What is the wetted area of a humidifier disk?

The wetted area of a humidifier disk refers to the surface area of the disk that is covered in water. This area can vary depending on the size and design of the disk, and it is important for determining the amount of water that can be absorbed and released into the air.

4. Why is it important to partially submerge a humidifier disk?

Partially submerging a humidifier disk allows for more efficient absorption of water and production of mist or steam. It also helps to prevent the disk from drying out and becoming less effective. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper submersion levels.

5. How often should I replace the humidifier disk?

The lifespan of a humidifier disk can vary depending on usage and maintenance. It is recommended to replace the disk every 3-6 months or as needed if it becomes clogged or damaged. Regular cleaning and proper storage can also help extend the lifespan of the disk.