Surface Area of ball floating in water

In summary, the exposed surface area of a ball floating in water can be derived using calculus by treating the problem as a surface of rotation and considering the density of the sphere. The formula for the surface area of a sphere is \(A = 4\pi r^2\), but it may change depending on the oscillations of the water and rogue waves.
Dustinsfl
Using calculus, how would I derive a formula for the exposed surface area of a ball floating in water?

For such a formula to be a good candidate, it would have to consider oscillations of the water and placid water.

The surface area of a sphere is \(A = 4\pi r^2\).

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
Using calculus, how would I derive a formula for the exposed surface area of a ball floating in water?

For such a formula to be a good candidate, it would have to consider oscillations of the water and placid water.

The surface area of a sphere is \(A = 4\pi r^2\).
That will depend upon the density of the sphere. And if the surface of the water oscillates, the ball will oscillate with it but I don't think that will change the amount of surface area above the water.

HallsofIvy said:
That will depend upon the density of the sphere. And if the surface of the water oscillates, the ball will oscillate with it but I don't think that will change the amount of surface area above the water.

Without knowing density, how could this be done?

If we think of waves, there are waves that entirely overtake objects floating in the water even if it is just for a moment. Therefore, there can be times that the ball is fully submerged. So the the amount above can be anywhere from the max (placid) to 0 rogue waves.

If I were to use the calculus, I would treat the problem as a surface of rotation, at least to find a formula for the surface of a spherical cap.

Related to Surface Area of ball floating in water

What is the surface area of a ball floating in water?

The surface area of a ball floating in water is the total amount of area on the surface of the ball that is in contact with the water.

How is the surface area of a ball floating in water calculated?

The surface area of a ball floating in water can be calculated using the formula 4πr2, where r is the radius of the ball.

Does the surface area of a ball floating in water affect its buoyancy?

Yes, the surface area of a ball floating in water affects its buoyancy. A larger surface area allows the ball to displace more water, making it more buoyant.

What happens to the surface area of a ball floating in water if the ball is partially submerged?

If a ball is partially submerged in water, the surface area in contact with the water will decrease. This is because the water will only be in contact with part of the ball's surface.

Can the surface area of a ball floating in water be changed?

Yes, the surface area of a ball floating in water can be changed by altering the size or shape of the ball. For example, a larger ball will have a larger surface area and a more irregularly shaped ball may have a different surface area than a perfectly round ball.