How would Dr. Frankenstein solve the tissue rejection problem?

• Thread starter Lren Zvsm
  • Start date
In summary, the head of a human being is transplanted onto the body of an animal, in this case a monkey. The monkey's head is then transplanted onto the body of a human, who then becomes the monkey's new head. The human's body is then used to conduct research on the transplant. This is a playful hypothetical question that might be part of a fantasy story someday.
Lren Zvsm
This is a playful hypothetical question that might be part of a fantasy story someday.

Let's assume that the famous and fictional Dr. Frankenstein really could reanimate the body he sewed together. Let's also assume that any mad scientist who could reanimate corpses would also have at the very least modern medical insight, although his equipment would still be that of a 19th century medical researcher.

Given this scenario, how would Dr. Frankenstein address the inevitable tissue rejection that would occur between the sewn-together parts of the Monster's body? Also, what would be some side effects of the rejection-stopping method that Dr. Frankenstein used?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe itching and irritation caused by tissue rejection is what made the monster have such a bad disposition. :wink:

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, symbolipoint, Lren Zvsm and 7 others
Don't forget the electrodes in his neck...that couldn't be comfortable.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, Lren Zvsm, DennisN and 3 others
His shoes were too tight, causing stress all the way up. Shin bone connected to the knee bone, knee bone connected to ... neck bone connected to the head bone... connected to a splitting migraine headache.

• Haha
Likes Klystron, anorlunda, DennisN and 1 other person
I suspect marital issues as the root cause for all monster problems.
bride_frankenstein_1935_21-1487460005-726x388.jpg

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, Vanadium 50, Lren Zvsm and 3 others
Lren Zvsm said:
This is a playful hypothetical question that might be part of a fantasy story someday.

Let's assume that the famous and fictional Dr. Frankenstein really could reanimate the body he sewed together. Let's also assume that any mad scientist who could reanimate corpses would also have at the very least modern medical insight, although his equipment would still be that of a 19th century medical researcher.

Given this scenario, how would Dr. Frankenstein address the inevitable tissue rejection that would occur between the sewn-together parts of the Monster's body? Also, what would be some side effects of the rejection-stopping method that Dr. Frankenstein used?
Get Messmer to induce an intense hypnotic trance with the suggestion of compatible tissues.

nsaspook said:
I suspect marital issues as the root cause for all monster problems.

Lren Zvsm said:
how would Dr. Frankenstein address the inevitable tissue rejection that would occur between the sewn-together parts of the Monster's body?

I believe the application of Handwavium has an excellent track record in situations like these. Just make sure there is no potential for dramatic irony in the creature's unexpected self destruction.

Likes atyy and Bystander
Lren Zvsm said:

I cannot remember which parts of the monster were from where, the head was separate from the torso?

The immune system is not located to one part of the body so you have a very mixed and confused response assuming everything now sewn together worked as pervious.

A quick check on google https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/the-immune-system

Adenoids. Two glands located at the back of the nasal passage.

Bone marrow. The soft, spongy tissue found in bone cavities.

Lymph nodes. Small organs shaped like beans, which are located throughout the body and connect via the lymphatic vessels.

Lymphatic vessels. A network of channels throughout the body that carries lymphocytes to the lymphoid organs and bloodstream.

Peyer's patches. Lymphoid tissue in the small intestine.

Spleen. A fist-sized organ located in the abdominal cavity.

Thymus. Two lobes that join in front of the trachea behind the breastbone.

Tonsils. Two oval masses in the back of the throat.

So as a non Dr I would probably give him a cocktail of immunosuppressants but have the kit ready to reanimate him again if that did not work.

pinball1970 said:
the head was separate from the torso?
Isn't that what the bolts in the neck were for?

Of course the Shelley and Hollywood versions are quite different.

Likes Klystron
Vanadium 50 said:
Isn't that what the bolts in the neck were for?

Of course the Shelley and Hollywood versions are quite different.
Just had a look on google, blew the image up.

Yes but if the bolt is supposed to hold the head on, surely the nut should be right against the bone?

Not on the outside like that?

Last edited:
Hollywood

hilbert2 said:
Here's a story about a freaky real-life "head transplant" experiment

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...arried-out-on-monkey-claims-maverick-surgeon/
I checked the date on the article to make sure that it was not 1st April. That was pretty crazy and the images quite disturbing.
If that translates however that will be amazing, a chance with patients with severe muscular/neurological disease.
Perhaps Shelly was onto something, or Hollywood in the 30s.

The answer to the original question of the thread is straightforward: Doc Frankenstein zaps the creature with electricity from lightning. When your only useful tool is a hammer, all problems resemble nails.

hilbert2 said:
Here's a story about a freaky real-life "head transplant" experiment

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...arried-out-on-monkey-claims-maverick-surgeon/

Vanadium 50 said:
Hollywood
Or add severed heads to a living body as in "The Thing with Two Heads".

Follow up Doctor Frankenstein question: If Doc F. reanimates sewn together dead body parts by zapping them with electricity thereby creating a powerful monster, what happens if he applies the same technique to a living person?

Klystron said:
The answer to the original question of the thread is straightforward: Doc Frankenstein zaps the creature with electricity from lightning. When your only useful tool is a hammer, all problems resemble nails.

Or add severed heads to a living body as in "The Thing with Two Heads".

Follow up Doctor Frankenstein question: If Doc F. reanimates sewn together dead body parts by zapping them with electricity thereby creating a powerful monster, what happens if he applies the same technique to a living person?
Zapping a living person with electricity can turn them into a dead person...(joke)

This thread though for me has raised a relevant point. Sci fi based on Science that is a little out there but nascent rather than crazy is far more entertaining than just plain crazy.
I loved the Frankenstein films, they put them all on TV in the 70s as a kid and they scared the hell out of me.
It was great.

Likes Klystron
pinball1970 said:
loved the Frankenstein films, they put them all on TV in the 70s
Especially "Young Frankenstein" right?

My favorite all time line from any movie was "Put the candle back."

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, BillTre and Klystron
Blücher!

• Haha
Likes BillTre, Bystander and Klystron
All time greatest Doc F. depiction; sorry, all the Victors in so many fine Frankenstein productions; belongs to Gene Wilder in Mel Brooks YF.

Likes BillTre
Klystron said:
All time greatest Doc F. depiction; sorry, all the Victors in so many fine Frankenstein productions; belongs to Gene Wilder in Mel Brooks YF.
There was a 1973 version a year before Young Frankenstein. I remembered something about rotten flesh. It was not quite the immunology question from the OP but it made me look on line.
Turns out the 2pt series is on you tube so I watched it this morning.
brilliant. Frankenstein the true story. Not sure what the 'true' is referring to. I have not read the book.

Likes PeroK
pinball1970 said:
There was a 1973 version a year before Young Frankenstein. I remembered something about rotten flesh. It was not quite the immunology question from the OP but it made me look on line.
brilliant. Frankenstein the true story. Not sure what the 'true' is referring to. I have not read the book.
I read Mary Godwin's novel as a child then again when 18, roughly the same age as the author. I agree with SF writer Brian Aldiss and many others that "Frankenstein, the Modern Prometheus" exemplifies the SF genre. The Gothic and fantasy elements support the speculative science and lend credence to the SF classification considering how fantasy and steampunk imbue current SF stories.

I would need to reread the novel to comment in detail but I read around 1999 that "Frankenstein" may be the novel with the most spin offs and new productions including books, movies, television shows and series, comics and graphic novels, comedies, parodies, horror shows, etc. Wikipedia mentions new interest in Mary Shelley's later novels. They may make my winter reading list if I can locate copies. I also recommend the excellent film "Gothic" that features Mary and Percy Shelley partying with Byron in Italy on the fateful night she invented Frankenstein.

pinball1970 said:
I also remember that one.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070074/

What a cast!

Likes pinball1970

Related to How would Dr. Frankenstein solve the tissue rejection problem?

1. How would Dr. Frankenstein create tissue that is immune to rejection?

Dr. Frankenstein would need to use a combination of genetic engineering and tissue engineering techniques. He would first need to identify and isolate the genes responsible for tissue rejection, and then manipulate them in a way that would make the tissue immune to rejection. He would also need to use scaffolds and growth factors to support the growth and development of the tissue.

2. Would Dr. Frankenstein's solution be ethical?

This is a highly debated question and ultimately depends on one's personal beliefs. Some may argue that manipulating genes and creating artificial tissue goes against the natural order of things and is therefore unethical. Others may argue that it is for the greater good and can save lives, making it ethical.

3. How long would it take for Dr. Frankenstein to solve the tissue rejection problem?

The timeline for this solution would depend on the complexity of the problem and the resources available to Dr. Frankenstein. It could take anywhere from a few months to several years to fully develop and test the solution.

4. What are the potential risks of Dr. Frankenstein's solution?

Like any medical intervention, there are potential risks associated with Dr. Frankenstein's solution. These could include adverse reactions to the genetically modified tissue, complications during the surgery, and long-term effects on the patient's health. Proper testing and monitoring would be necessary to minimize these risks.

5. Could Dr. Frankenstein's solution be applied to other medical problems?

Yes, the techniques used by Dr. Frankenstein to solve the tissue rejection problem could potentially be applied to other medical problems. For example, genetically engineered tissues could also be used to treat diseases or injuries that affect specific organs or tissues. However, further research and development would be needed to determine the feasibility and safety of these applications.