How/Why does GR break down in Planck Epoch?

In summary: Yes, it is relevant that on larger scales the quantum foam is averaged out to be almost... classical. This is one of the main problems with trying to combine GR and QM: they both rely on different assumptions about how the world works at large scales.
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
Wikipedia says:
Traditional big bang cosmology predicts a gravitational singularity before this time, but this theory relies on general relativity and is expected to break down due to quantum effects.​
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_the_universe

Although I found other pages, I have been unable to find anything on the internet that gives a more detailed explanation.

How/why do the quantum effects during the Planck epoch cause GR to "break down"?

Please see my Message #3 for a rephrasing of my question.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
If anyone knew the answer, they would surely win a Nobel prize. We have no theory that successfully unites General Relativity with Quantum Mechanics. This is one of the most important unsolved problems in physics.

Hi @phyzguy:

Thank you for your post. I phrased my question poorly. I am not looking for an explanation worthy of a Nobel prize. I am just looking for a clear statement about why physisists believe that GR breaks down during the Planck epoch due to quantum effects. What are the characteristics of quantum effects that could cause this break down?

This is probably quite wrong since I have a very limited understanding of QM, but it gives the flavor of the kind of answer I am looking for.
Space is assumed to be quantized with a quantum about the size of a single Planck unit of distance. During the Planck epoch the numerical density of particles would be so great that there would be multiple particles crowded into a single quantum of space. GR assumes that space is continuous, and the gravitation effects of such particles would not be able to bend space as GR predicts.​

Regards,
Buzz

Last edited:
I think the problem is that GR by itself provides nice deterministic descriptions of how things behave at larger scales and is experimentally proven to be very accurate.
At the quantum scale though things become probabalistic instead.
Given an initial condition of X we can no longer confidently predict an outcome Y, only that the outcome Y has some statistical liklyhood, as do some other possible outcomes.

Likes Buzz Bloom
Quantum general relativity does work as an "effective field theory" similarly to quantum electrodynamics. In both of these cases, the theory breaks down at high energies or short distances or high curvatures, but is ok for low energy low resolution measurements.

Here we start with a theory that has a cutoff whose value is unknown. We find that although the cutoff is unknown, we can make some predictions at low energy. But we also find that we cannot (or do not know how to) remove the cutoff (unless, perhaps, we introduce new degrees of freedom), which is why we say that quantum general relativity or quantum electrodynamics fails at high energies or high curvatures, and we cannot extend the big bang back to the "start".

A reference is:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1209.3511
The effective field theory treatment of quantum gravity
John F. Donoghue

Likes Buzz Bloom
There are two main points that are relevant:
1. Gravity and quantum mechanics disagree with one another.
2. At the Planck scale, this disagreement cannot be ignored.

For the first, a simple way to look at it is to look at energy. The thing that separates quantum mechanics from classical mechanics is that objects can exist in a superposition of states, so that it can be partially in energy state 1, and partially in energy state 2. But energy produces a gravitational field, and a gravitational field doesn't exist in a superposition, so what would the gravitational field of a particle in a superposition be? There just isn't any good way to answer it, and the math that we use to quantize the other forces doesn't work properly with gravity.

The reason the Planck scale becomes important is that if you had particles with this amount of energy, they'd create black holes. Thus it's no longer possible to describe quantum behavior at these energies without invoking gravity, but since we don't know the proper quantum behavior of gravity, we really can't know what happens there.

Bear in mind that quantum gravity may become important at energies much lower than the Planck scale, it's just that our current math stops to make sense close to that scale.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and Buzz Bloom
Hi rootone, atyy, and Chalnoth:

Thank you all very much for your posts. They have exactly the kind of answers I wanted.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Tofurther compound matters, we are uncertain about the energy level at which GR and QM part ways. Experiments have been attempted to clarify the cutoff, but, none have proven definitive.

Likes Buzz Bloom
Is it also relevant that at subatomic scales, the 'fabric of spacetime' becomes chaotic with the creation/annihilation of virtual particles and with energy fluctuations which would suggest a dynamic gravitational field which can never be calculated accurately? Overall, on larger scales, the quantum foam is averaged out to be almost flat.

Likes Buzz Bloom

Related to How/Why does GR break down in Planck Epoch?

1. How does general relativity work?

General relativity is a theory of gravity proposed by Albert Einstein in 1915. It states that massive objects cause a distortion in the fabric of space and time, known as spacetime, and this distortion is what we perceive as gravity. It explains the motion of objects in the presence of massive bodies, such as planets orbiting the sun.

2. Why does general relativity break down in the Planck Epoch?

The Planck Epoch refers to the earliest stage of the universe, which is around 10^-43 seconds after the Big Bang. At this time, the universe was incredibly hot and dense, and the laws of physics, including general relativity, do not apply. This is because the extreme conditions of the Planck Epoch require a more comprehensive theory, such as quantum gravity, to explain the behavior of matter and energy.

3. How does general relativity relate to the Planck Epoch?

General relativity is one of the pillars of modern physics and has been successfully tested in various scenarios. However, at the Planck Epoch, the universe was incredibly small and dense, and the effects of quantum mechanics become significant. Therefore, general relativity alone is not enough to explain the behavior of matter and energy at this stage of the universe.

4. Why is it essential to understand the Planck Epoch?

The Planck Epoch is a crucial period in the history of the universe. It is the earliest state of the universe that we can currently understand, and it holds the key to understanding the origin of the universe. By studying the Planck Epoch, scientists can gain insights into fundamental questions about the universe, such as its size, composition, and evolution.

5. How can we bridge the gap between general relativity and the Planck Epoch?

Scientists are actively working towards developing a theory of quantum gravity, which will bridge the gap between general relativity and the Planck Epoch. This theory will incorporate the principles of both general relativity and quantum mechanics to explain the behavior of matter and energy at the smallest scale. However, it is still a work in progress, and more research and experiments are needed to develop a complete understanding of the Planck Epoch.