How valuable are technology management graduate programs?

In summary, the individual is graduating with a BS in Mathematics and Physics Minor and is unsure about the value of their degree. They are considering a program at the University of Central Missouri but are unsure if it aligns with their career goals. Some suggest pursuing an MBA instead, but the individual is interested in the program and is seeking outside opinions. They also mention gaining experience in program management through their current job.
Shackleford
For example, a program like the one below. I'm graduating in May with a B.S. in Mathematics and Physics Minor. I'm looking at all the options I have. I'm just wondering if this degree or ones like it are worth the time. I don't know anything about the University of Central Missouri, though.

http://www.ucmo.edu/technology/masters/im.cfm

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm surprised no one has chimed in yet after 137 views.

That's usually an indication that as of yet no one knows, or has heard of the program.

Here is my two cents:
Depending on what you want to do, that may be a good option. However, if you plan on doing something technical with your degree, it may not be the smartest. What do you want to do, career wise?

sandy.bridge said:
That's usually an indication that as of yet no one knows, or has heard of the program.

Here is my two cents:
Depending on what you want to do, that may be a good option. However, if you plan on doing something technical with your degree, it may not be the smartest. What do you want to do, career wise?

That's the quandary. I don't know what I want to do career-wise. I know what I don't want to do. I don't want to work as an engineer. I don't know any programming languages and I don't care to learn any, so that leaves out any kind of computational or research job. I'd probably be okay with something quasi-technical. Of course, I do want to go into industry/business.

This type of program seems like a very light IE/OR program. I'm interested in something like that because it could translate across industry/business, presumably.

You sure went out of your way to handicap yourself
I wouldn't go for this program, especially since you don't seem to be enthusiastic about it. I think an MBA might open up more doors for you, especially if you do it after a few years out working

jk said:
You sure went out of your way to handicap yourself
I wouldn't go for this program, especially since you don't seem to be enthusiastic about it. I think an MBA might open up more doors for you, especially if you do it after a few years out working

Handicap myself?

I literally just discovered this program today, so I haven't had a whole lot of time to ponder it and become enthusiastic about it or not. I am interested in it. That's why I made this post. I wanted to make sure it's not one of those utterly-useless degrees out there.

I have seen MBA degrees with concentrations in logistics and supply chain management, operations research, etc., but don't those take longer than two years or so? I've never really looked into an MBA.

From your web page (my bold-type):
A recent survey of graduates found the average student’s age was 40 with a mean salary of $65,000 per year. Some occupational titles include vice president of operations, production manager, shift supervisor, quality systems manager, and plant manager.

That makes a lot of sense. IMO you can't learn "management" if you don't have any real world experience of what it is, either from being on the receiving end of it or from perpetrating it.

For much of the time, "manangement" is in one of two states. Either everythng is going along smoothly, and it's less stimulating or challenging than watching paint dry. Or, your project is in panic and meltdown mode, and it has the same sort of of stimulation and challenge as being fired at with live ammunition.

AlephZero said:
From your web page (my bold-type):That makes a lot of sense. IMO you can't learn "management" if you don't have any real world experience of what it is, either from being on the receiving end of it or from perpetrating it.

For much of the time, "manangement" is in one of two states. Either everythng is going along smoothly, and it's less stimulating or challenging than watching paint dry. Or, your project is in panic and meltdown mode, and it has the same sort of of stimulation and challenge as being fired at with live ammunition.

I saw your emboldened quote, but I wanted to get an outside opinion. My current boss is a retired program manager from Lockheed. I get a taste of very basic program management and so forth when I'm at work because the economic development organization where I work is small but influential.

Would you want to get paid to watch paint dry? Haha.

Last edited:

Related to How valuable are technology management graduate programs?

1. How valuable are technology management graduate programs?

The value of technology management graduate programs can vary depending on the individual's career goals and the specific program they choose. However, in general, these programs can be highly valuable as they provide students with a specialized education in the fast-growing field of technology management. Graduates of these programs often have a strong understanding of both business and technology, making them valuable assets to companies in a variety of industries.

2. What skills can I gain from a technology management graduate program?

Technology management graduate programs typically focus on teaching students skills such as project management, data analysis, strategic planning, and leadership. These programs also often provide hands-on experience with various technologies and tools used in the industry, as well as opportunities for networking and professional development.

3. Are technology management graduate programs in demand?

Yes, technology management graduate programs are in high demand, as the field of technology continues to rapidly expand and evolve. Companies in various industries are seeking individuals with both business and technology expertise to help them stay competitive in the digital age. This demand for tech-savvy professionals makes technology management graduate programs a valuable and relevant choice for aspiring leaders in the industry.

4. How do technology management graduate programs differ from other business or technology programs?

Technology management graduate programs differ from other business or technology programs in that they combine elements of both fields. These programs focus on teaching students how to effectively manage and implement technology in a business setting, rather than solely focusing on either business or technology. This unique blend of skills makes technology management graduates highly sought after in the job market.

5. Can I pursue a technology management graduate program without a technical background?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a technology management graduate program without a technical background. While having a background in technology may be beneficial, many programs are designed for individuals with diverse backgrounds and offer introductory courses to help students gain a basic understanding of technology concepts. These programs focus on developing students' skills in technology management, rather than technical expertise.