How to walk my PI through a paper

In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate involved in a research project with their advisor, who has asked them to walk through a 24-page journal article with a postdoc collaborator. The speaker previously attempted to summarize a shorter article but was advised by their PI to focus on telling the story behind the paper. They are seeking advice on how to prepare for this talk as they get nervous when speaking. The speaker ended up creating slides with speaker notes and received praise for their presentation.
yeshuamo
I'm an undergraduate involved in a research project. My advisor is a faculty member who has requested that I walk him and our postdoc collaborator through a paper that is relevant to our project; it's a 24-page in-depth journal article.

I made an attempt at walking them through a shorter article last week, but the PI said that I needed to work on better telling the story behind the paper instead of summarizing it.

Have you had to develop the skill of walking your superiors through research that you didn't conduct? Can you offer advice on preparing this talk?

I should note that I get nervous when speaking, so my memory isn't my best friend when I'm talking.

Thank you for your tips.

Physics news on Phys.org
My impression is he/she is trying to help you. The skills in your story are indeed very useful in almost any career, so any investment is well made. Try to talk to him/her about your quandary (at least you don't have eto rely on your memory for that) and try to find out this motivation.

Likes yeshuamo
Thank you. I ended up preparing slides that I handed out and added speaker notes to my copy. Added an intro slide putting the paper in context of other research and concluded with takeaways relevant for our project. It was received with praise, so mission accomplished!

Bravo !

Related to How to walk my PI through a paper

1. How do I explain the purpose of the paper to my PI?

The best way to explain the purpose of the paper to your PI is to start by summarizing the main research question and the significance of the study. You can also provide a brief overview of the methodology and key findings. It may be helpful to use visual aids, such as figures or tables, to illustrate your points.

2. What is the most important information to highlight when walking my PI through a paper?

The most important information to highlight when walking your PI through a paper will depend on the specific paper and the PI's interests. However, some key elements to cover include the research question, methodology, results, and implications of the study. It may also be helpful to discuss any limitations or future directions for research.

3. How do I address any technical jargon or complex concepts in the paper?

If your PI is not familiar with the specific field of study, it may be necessary to provide some background information and define any technical terms or concepts. You can also use analogies or real-life examples to help clarify complex ideas. Be sure to also provide any necessary context for the study and explain how it relates to the larger scientific community.

4. How do I encourage my PI to ask questions or provide feedback during the discussion?

One way to encourage your PI to ask questions or provide feedback is to ask for their input and opinions throughout the discussion. You can also pause periodically to ask if they have any questions or if they would like you to clarify any points. Additionally, be open to constructive criticism and be prepared to defend your research and results.

5. How do I effectively summarize the paper and wrap up the discussion with my PI?

To effectively summarize the paper and wrap up the discussion with your PI, you can briefly restate the main research question and key findings. You can also highlight any implications or future directions for research. It may also be helpful to ask for your PI's overall thoughts and feedback on the paper, and discuss any potential next steps or collaborations.