How to train for USAPhO and IPhO

• Studying
  • Thread starter Suhaas Bhat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ipho Train
In summary, the person is a high school student preparing for the IPhO and has been recommended to use Resnick and Halliday for learning physics. However, they are having trouble applying this knowledge to solve USAPhO problems and are seeking advice on how to bridge the gap. They also have questions about the level of calculus required for these competitions and whether other math topics need to be learned. Another suggestion is to use books like Irodov, Kleppner and Kolenkow, Marion Thorthon, and Purcell.
Suhaas Bhat
Hi, I am a freshman in high school (going into sophomore next September) and am trying to prepare for the IPhO. I was recommended to use Resnick and Halliday to learn the physics, and am currently doing that. However, I am still unable to solve USAPhO problems in areas that I have covered in Resnick and Halliday. How should I bridge the gap between Resnick and Halliday problems to USAPhO problems so that I am able to solve the harder USAPhO and IPhO problems? Also, how much calculus do I have to know for the USAPhO and IPhO? I am taking Calc BC next year, but I do not know if that is enough. Is there other math that I must learn?

Thanks,
Suhaas

Physics news on Phys.org
Suhaas Bhat said:
Hi, I am a freshman in high school (going into sophomore next September) and am trying to prepare for the IPhO. I was recommended to use Resnick and Halliday to learn the physics, and am currently doing that. However, I am still unable to solve USAPhO problems in areas that I have covered in Resnick and Halliday. How should I bridge the gap between Resnick and Halliday problems to USAPhO problems so that I am able to solve the harder USAPhO and IPhO problems? Also, how much calculus do I have to know for the USAPhO and IPhO? I am taking Calc BC next year, but I do not know if that is enough. Is there other math that I must learn?

Thanks,
Suhaas

My friend used Irodov. Not sure if this is sufficient. Also, take a look at books like Kleppner and Kolenkow, Marion Thorthon, Purcell.

Related to How to train for USAPhO and IPhO

What is USAPhO and IPhO?

USAPhO (United States Physics Olympiad) and IPhO (International Physics Olympiad) are annual physics competitions for high school students. These competitions test students’ knowledge and problem-solving skills in various areas of physics.

How can I prepare for USAPhO and IPhO?

To prepare for USAPhO and IPhO, you should have a strong foundation in physics concepts and problem-solving skills. You can practice by solving past competition problems and studying topics that are commonly covered in these competitions, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism.

What resources can I use to study for USAPhO and IPhO?

You can use a variety of resources to study for USAPhO and IPhO, including textbooks, online resources, and study guides specifically designed for these competitions. You can also attend study camps or workshops that focus on preparing for these competitions.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills for USAPhO and IPhO?

To improve your problem-solving skills for USAPhO and IPhO, you can practice solving problems under timed conditions, work on challenging problems that require creative thinking, and seek help from experienced coaches or mentors.

What are some tips for success in USAPhO and IPhO?

To succeed in USAPhO and IPhO, you should start preparing early, stay organized, and stay focused on your goal. It is also important to manage your time effectively during the competition and review your answers before submitting them. Additionally, do not be afraid to ask for help or clarification if you are unsure about a problem.