How to relearn 1st year calculus?

In summary, the individual is looking for advice on how to relearn first year calculus on their own after not having studied it for five years. They are wondering if they should use an exam or problems in a book as a benchmark and have access to textbooks and online resources. Suggestions are made for specific books and the individual is reminded that they should be able to excel in calculus as a math graduate student.
tom2012
How to relearn 1st year calculus??

I need to relearn the year of calculus that i took almost 5 years ago. I want to do this on my own if this is practical. I definitely have the discipline to sit down and spend the time doing this, but I really need to know at what point i can say, "OK, I now know 1st year calculus no problem"
I noticed there are zillions of calc books out there but I need some sort of benchmark for myself.. Should i be looking at an exam, or just the problems in back of book or what?
Im enrolling as math grad, so its assumed I am going to be proficient with calc.. (i have stewarts calculus textbook and full solution manual)
thanks for any help or ideas or advice

Physics news on Phys.org

By calculus to you mean 'methody' calculus or 'analysisy' calculus?

For methody I'd say Boas' Mathematical Methods book
For analysisy I'd say Apostols Mathematical Analysis book
.. surely someone enrolling as a math grad should remember first year calculus :eek:

If first year calculus is just basic integrating powers of x and taking derivatives of powers of x then you could probably get that brushed up in a week at khanacademy

Really I'd say that you should do problems and check with the back of the book or make up problems and verify via wolfram alpha or mathematica or something.

Unless you're talking about some first year graduate maths I don't know about in which case forget everything I just said as I don't know!

A math graduate students should be able to do better than Stewart.
Just get Spivak and Apostol. If you can solve most of the exercises, then you know calculus.

Related to How to relearn 1st year calculus?

1. How do I start relearning 1st year calculus?

To start relearning 1st year calculus, it is important to review the basics. Make sure you have a good understanding of algebra and trigonometry, as they are fundamental to calculus. Also, familiarize yourself with the concepts of limits, derivatives, and integrals before moving on to more complex topics.

2. How can I improve my understanding of calculus concepts?

One way to improve your understanding of calculus concepts is to practice. Work through examples and practice problems to solidify your knowledge. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial in clarifying any confusion and providing additional explanations.

3. What resources are available for relearning 1st year calculus?

There are many resources available for relearning 1st year calculus. You can find online tutorials, video lectures, textbooks, and practice problems. Khan Academy and Coursera are popular online platforms that offer free courses and resources for calculus. Your university or local library may also have textbooks and study materials available.

4. How much time should I dedicate to relearning 1st year calculus?

The amount of time needed to relearn 1st year calculus varies from person to person. It depends on your current understanding of the subject and how much time you can dedicate to studying. It is recommended to set aside a consistent amount of time each day or week to review and practice calculus concepts.

5. Are there any tips for retaining my knowledge of calculus?

One tip for retaining your knowledge of calculus is to continuously practice and review the concepts. Regularly working through problems and examples will help reinforce your understanding and prevent you from forgetting important concepts. Additionally, try to apply calculus in real-world situations to see its practical applications and make connections to other subjects.