How to prove the bilinearity of a given metric using tensorial product addition?

• Thread starter Simone Furcas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metric
In summary, the author is trying to show that the first fundamental form is a tensorial product addition. They provide an example of how to do this and then say that if we're dealing with a metric, what they wrote can be interpreted as a sloppy way of writing ##g=g_{ij}dx^i\otimes dx^j##.
Simone Furcas
How could I proof this ##ds^2=cos^2(v)du^2+dv^2## is bilinear?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't even know what that is unless there's a metric involved. How do you define the the function that you want to prove is bilinear?

If this is a problem from a book or some kind of homework, we will need the full problem statement.

If it's just something you encountered in a book, then please tell us the name of the book, and where in the book you found it.

I translate it, it's in Italian. I've just solved it by myself.
This is first fundamental form##ds^2=cos^2(v)du^2+dv^2## v∈(-##\pi##/2,##\pi##/2). Check it is bilinear, symmetric and positive.

OK, if you solved it, then maybe you don't want to talk about it, but I'm curious how you made sense of the problem. A metric is bilinear by definition, and so is the first fundamental form. (I wasn't familiar with that term, but I just looked it up). So I don't see how to extract a function from your notation that needs to be proved to be bilinear.

If we're dealing with a metric, what you wrote can can be interpreted as a sloppy way of writing ##g=g_{ij}dx^i \otimes dx^j##. This is a formula that holds because of the bilinearity of the metric: For all u,v, we have
$$g(u,v)=g(u^i e_i, v^je_j)=u^i v^j g(e_i,e_j) =u^i v^j g_{ij} =g_{ij} dx^i(u) dx^j(v) =g_{ij} dx^i\otimes dx^j (u,v).$$ This implies that ##g=g_{ij}dx^i\otimes dx^j.## How am I supposed to interpret what you wrote if not as ##g_{uu}=\cos v## and so on? I'm not sure that this interpretation makes sense if we don't already know that g is a metric, or at least that it's a bilinear form.

I'll try answering by smartphone. It is an exercise to show the student remember that first fundamental form is a tensorial product addition. I red in my note my professor 's idea, he showed as you do the tensorial product, furthermore he takes 2 general vector of the space and with an unusual notation he wrote (du^2+dv^2)(X,Y) with X,Y variables, after that du^2(X,Y)+dv^2(X,Y) using tensorial,product it become du(X)du(Y)+dv(X)dv(Y) and after he wrote Xand y as sum of components xi and ei, ei is the I element of the base.. A friend of mine told me that the reason would be clear in a master's course of the same professor. I used this notation and I took. (x+Y,Z) as variables, and because it I obviously bilinear, after long and boring count finished. By phone I hard to answer, I hope being clear.

Related to How to prove the bilinearity of a given metric using tensorial product addition?

1. What is a bilinear metric?

A bilinear metric is a mathematical function that takes two inputs and produces a scalar output. It is called "bilinear" because the function is linear with respect to each input variable separately.

2. How do you prove that a metric is bilinear?

To prove that a metric is bilinear, you must show that it satisfies two properties: linearity in each variable and symmetry. This can be done by manipulating the metric function algebraically and using the definition of a bilinear function.

3. What does it mean for a metric to be linear in each variable?

If a metric is linear in each variable, it means that when one variable is held constant, the function behaves like a linear function of the other variable. In other words, the metric follows the properties of a straight line when one variable is changed while the other is fixed.

4. Why is it important for a metric to be bilinear?

Bilinear metrics are commonly used in various fields of mathematics, including geometry, calculus, and linear algebra. They allow for the manipulation and analysis of mathematical objects in a concise and efficient way. Additionally, bilinear metrics are useful in solving optimization problems and in understanding the behavior of complex systems.

5. Can a metric be bilinear in more than two variables?

Yes, a metric can be bilinear in any number of variables. The definition of bilinearity only requires the function to be linear with respect to each variable, regardless of how many variables there are. However, the most common usage of bilinear metrics involves only two variables.