What is the mistake in my coordinate transformation for Theorema Egregium?

• Thread starter Simone Furcas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metric
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a new metric using a coordinate transformation and proving its agreement with Theorema Egregium. There was a mistake in the matrix multiplication, which was corrected by using the transpose instead of the inverse. The exercise was eventually solved.
Simone Furcas
I have ##ds^2=\cos^2(v)du^2 + dv^2## , i take a coordinate transformation x=u and cos(v)=##\frac{1}{(cosh(y))}##, I have to find a new metric with this coordinate transformation and proof it is in agreement with Theorema Egregium. ##ds^2=\frac{dx^2}{(cosh^2(y)}) +\frac{dy^2 }{(y^2(1-y^2))}## is my new metric . I used the jacobian to proof the second point, ##J=\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & \frac{-1}{y(1-y^2)^(1/2)} \end{pmatrix}##, so ##j^-1 * \begin{pmatrix} \frac{1}{cosh^2{y}} & 0 \\ 0 & \frac{1}{y^2(1-y^2)} \end{pmatrix} *j ## = ## \begin{pmatrix} \frac{1}{cosh^2{y}} & 0 \\ 0 & (\frac{1}{y^2(1-y^2)})^2 \end{pmatrix}##
I know cos(v)=##\frac{1}{(cosh(y))}## so the first part is ok, the second ##(\frac{1}{(y^2(1-y^2)})^2##=1 i think is not true...
What is my mistake? Does someone could help me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Simone Furcas said:
I have ##ds^2=\cos^2(v)du^2 + dv^2## , i take a coordinate transformation x=u and cos(v)=##\frac{1}{(cosh(y))}##, I have to find a new metric with this coordinate transformation and proof it is in agreement with Theorema Egregium. ##ds^2=\frac{dx^2}{(cosh^2(y)}) +\frac{dy^2 }{(y^2(1-y^2))}## is my new metric . I used the jacobian to proof the second point, ##J=\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & \frac{-1}{y(1-y^2)^(1/2)} \end{pmatrix}##, so ##j^-1 * \begin{pmatrix} \frac{1}{cosh^2{y}} & 0 \\ 0 & \frac{1}{y^2(1-y^2)} \end{pmatrix} *j ## = ## \begin{pmatrix} \frac{1}{cosh^2{y}} & 0 \\ 0 & (\frac{1}{y^2(1-y^2)})^2 \end{pmatrix}##
I know cos(v)=##\frac{1}{(cosh(y))}## so the first part is ok, the second ##(\frac{1}{(y^2(1-y^2)})^2##=1 i think is not true...
What is my mistake? Does someone could help me?
I did a mistake, ##ds^2=\frac{dx^2}{(cosh^2(y)}) +\frac{dy^2 }{cosh{y}}##, ##J=\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & \frac{1}{cosh{y}} \end{pmatrix}##, so ##j^-1 * \begin{pmatrix} \frac{1}{cosh^2{y}} & 0 \\ 0 & \frac{1}{cosh{y}}\end{pmatrix} *j ## = ## \begin{pmatrix} \frac{1}{cosh^2{y}} & 0 \\ 0 & (\frac{1}{cosh{y}})^4 \end{pmatrix}##
Does someone have any ideas?

That matrix multiplication is wrong. Since these are diagonal matrices multiplication is commutative so [itex]J^{-1}MJ= (J^{-1}J)M= M[/itex] for any matrix, M.

Simone Furcas said:
I did a mistake, ##ds^2=\frac{dx^2}{(cosh^2(y)}) +\frac{dy^2 }{cosh{y}}##, ##J=\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & \frac{1}{cosh{y}} \end{pmatrix}##, so ##j^-1 * \begin{pmatrix} \frac{1}{cosh^2{y}} & 0 \\ 0 & \frac{1}{cosh{y}}\end{pmatrix} *j ## = ## \begin{pmatrix} \frac{1}{cosh^2{y}} & 0 \\ 0 & (\frac{1}{cosh{y}})^4 \end{pmatrix}##
Does someone have any ideas?
##j^T * \begin{pmatrix} \frac{1}{cosh^2{y}} & 0 \\ 0 & \frac{1}{cosh{y}}\end{pmatrix} *j ## = ## \begin{pmatrix} \frac{1}{cosh^2{y}} & 0 \\ 0 & (\frac{1}{cosh{y}})^4 \end{pmatrix}## there was a mistake, it was the transpose not the inverse.

I solved it.
Simone Furcas said:
##j^T * \begin{pmatrix} \frac{1}{cosh^2{y}} & 0 \\ 0 & \frac{1}{cosh{y}}\end{pmatrix} *j ## = ## \begin{pmatrix} \frac{1}{cosh^2{y}} & 0 \\ 0 & (\frac{1}{cosh{y}})^4 \end{pmatrix}## there was a mistake, it was the transpose not the inverse.
I solved the exercise.

Related to What is the mistake in my coordinate transformation for Theorema Egregium?

1. What is Metric and Theorema Egregium?

Metric and Theorema Egregium is a mathematical theorem that was discovered by German mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss. It is a fundamental result in differential geometry and it relates to the curvature of a smooth surface in three-dimensional Euclidean space.

2. How does Metric and Theorema Egregium relate to differential geometry?

Metric and Theorema Egregium is a key result in differential geometry because it connects the intrinsic curvature of a surface to its extrinsic properties, such as its embedding in a higher-dimensional space. This allows for a deeper understanding of the geometry of surfaces.

3. Can you explain the concept of intrinsic curvature in relation to Metric and Theorema Egregium?

Intrinsic curvature is a measure of the curvature of a surface that is independent of its embedding in a higher-dimensional space. Metric and Theorema Egregium shows that this intrinsic curvature is a fundamental property of a surface and is not affected by how it is bent or twisted in three-dimensional space.

4. Are there any practical applications of Metric and Theorema Egregium?

Yes, there are several practical applications of Metric and Theorema Egregium. It has been used in physics to study the curvature of space-time in general relativity, and in computer graphics to model and render 3D surfaces. It also has applications in fields such as engineering, robotics, and architecture.

5. Is Metric and Theorema Egregium a difficult concept to understand?

Metric and Theorema Egregium can be a challenging concept to grasp, as it involves advanced mathematical concepts such as differential geometry and curvature. However, with proper study and explanation, it can be understood by those with a strong foundation in mathematics and physics.