How to know a graduate program's strength?

In summary, rankings do matter if you want to go to academia, however, a PhD from the University of Hawaii in observational astronomy will be more valuable than one from MIT.
Phys12
So, I've heard that rankings do matter if you want to go to academia; however, I've also heard that a PhD from the University of Hawaii in observational astronomy will be more valuable than one from MIT. So, where can I find universities' rankings by program (for example, cosmology or computational astrophysics)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on what you are looking for. Think about how many PhDs they graduate and where they go after? Post-docs, Industry, etc.

You will have to spend time looking into these schools and the faculty to truly know if it's a good program. Even better would be to go there in person and talk to people since not all Profs update their CVs. Or email someone, either a prof or a grad student!

Phys12 said:
So, where can I find universities' rankings by program (for example, cosmology or computational astrophysics)?
You can't. But by following the dialogue on this and other sites, plus departments' websites, you eventually get a better feel (like you just did with your example). Going to conferences and asking questions is a tremendous resource.

Probably the only way to try to ascertain this information without already being involved in said field is to look at a few of the following data points (arranged in increasing order of usefulness):
  1. Browse the websites of departments of interest and see which areas they have a focus.
  2. Ask a professor at your current institution (if you are attending a school already) and they ought to be able to give you a pretty good picture.
  3. Look through the top journals in that particular field and see who is publishing a lot of high-impact work in the area.
Ultimately, specific research areas are too opaque for general publications like US News to be able to accurately rank such subfields (to say nothing about the drawbacks to such ranking systems in the first place). You will have to rely on sources that are closer to the subfield, and that is a more tedious process than just buying a magazine and looking at someone's rankings in a table.

You can kind of figure out about program strengths from hearsay, taking with faculty, etc.

I would say the best places for the subfields you mentioned are Berkeley, Caltech, Chicago, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, MIT, and Princeton

UH's degree is better because they have far more observational astronomers than MIT does. Look for how many people the grad school has working in the field you're interested in, how much they publish, how many students they have, whether or not they earn grant money on a regular basis, and so on. Smaller schools often have one or two great programs in particular fields, so just because it's not famous overall doesn't mean it's not a top school for something in particular.

Phys12 said:
So, I've heard that rankings do matter if you want to go to academia; however, I've also heard that a PhD from the University of Hawaii in observational astronomy will be more valuable than one from MIT. So, where can I find universities' rankings by program (for example, cosmology or computational astrophysics)?

Spoke to my advisor about U Hawaii Astronomy program as I like the idea doing an observational Phd. She really tried to talk me out of the idea. Said almost no good quality research had been done there since the early 1990s. She also said the instutitute had a famously bad history of mistreating students and that failure rates were very high particularly amongst female students. I also spoke to several other faculty about hawaii astronomy. The faculty that knew about the astronomy program at hawaii were all pretty negative about it and basically said similar things to my advisor. So I am going to cross hawaii off my list of schools, I don't want to take the risk. Sorry if it seems a bit negative, but I thought it might be helpful to pass on my faculties views. You should investigate further if you can, I would be definitely interested to know what others think of astronomy at hawaii.

Check out the website below which ranks universities by specialties like nuclear, particle, condensed matter, etc.

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-science-schools/physics-rankings

Rankings do not matter. Your adviser's reputation does, however. Science is generally much smaller than engineering so the set of schools with strong programs is much smaller. Look far down the list of programs and many of the physics departments below 30 or so are really just applied physics departments (which is fine, but don't expect a top Noodle--er, String theorist to be at Louisiana Bog Swamp university for instance).

Definitely talk to faculty though and shop around; because the rankings are meaningless, a good computational astrophysicist or cosmologist may appear somewhere unexpected, but you will miss such an opportunity if you do not speak with faculty. For instance, if a good adviser has just graduated a student who has just taken a job as assistant professor at a mid-sized school, that might be an opportunity worth taking. Early in their careers faculty do not usually start at the top places; they have to work their way up. If you are a big fish in a small pond, it can be easy to acquire grants, fellowships, and other opportunities, which happened to a few of my peers in the physics department.

Likes Phys12
This is seven years old but does compare various university astronomy programs:

https://www.chronicle.com/article/NRC-Rankings-Overview-/124705

One thing about Astronomy and related field is that 1 out of every 10 graduate ever gets a job in the field. Its very tough and you have to be really outstanding to succeed. At least that's the way it was when I considered it more the 40 years ago and I don't think much has changed.

Some caveats on NRC rankings which are done every 10 years or so:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_National_Research_Council_rankings

Ask your professors. As an undergraduate student I was aware of the famous schools like Columbia, Princeton,... but my advisor (Andrew Gleason) suggested Brandeis, and that's where I went. The program was much better than I realized, and smaller, so that I got in more easily and then got more attention than I might have at other places.

Likes Phys12 and jedishrfu
Yes, it always pays to listen to your advisors. They know the ropes better than you do.

That all sounds good, thank you so much! Although, what if I want to go to grad school in a sub-field that my adviser is not involved in? So if I am working on supernova remnants with him but want to study the early universe, how will find out good advisers then?

your professors will also know where that topic is well represented. or they will know whom to ask.

mathwonk said:
your professors will also know where that topic is well represented. or they will know whom to ask.
All right, thank you!

Related to How to know a graduate program's strength?

1. What factors should I consider when evaluating the strength of a graduate program?

When evaluating the strength of a graduate program, there are several factors to consider. These include the program's reputation and ranking, faculty expertise and research opportunities, curriculum and course offerings, alumni success and job placement rates, and available resources and funding for students.

2. How can I determine a graduate program's reputation and ranking?

One way to determine a graduate program's reputation and ranking is to research and compare various ranking systems, such as those from U.S. News & World Report, Times Higher Education, and QS World University Rankings. These rankings take into account factors such as research output, student satisfaction, and employer reputation.

3. What role do faculty expertise and research opportunities play in a graduate program's strength?

Faculty expertise and research opportunities are important factors in a graduate program's strength. A strong program will have experienced and knowledgeable faculty who are actively engaged in research and can provide valuable mentorship and guidance to students. Additionally, a program with a variety of research opportunities allows students to gain hands-on experience and contribute to cutting-edge research in their field.

4. How do I know if a graduate program's curriculum and course offerings align with my interests and goals?

To determine if a graduate program's curriculum and course offerings align with your interests and goals, it is important to thoroughly research the program's website and course catalog. Look for courses that specifically relate to your desired area of study and check for any opportunities for specialization or interdisciplinary study. You can also reach out to current or former students to get their perspective on the curriculum.

5. What resources and funding should I expect from a strong graduate program?

A strong graduate program should offer a variety of resources and funding opportunities to support students in their academic and research pursuits. This may include access to state-of-the-art facilities, libraries, and equipment, as well as funding for research projects, conference travel, and teaching or research assistantships. It is important to research and compare the resources and funding available at different programs to determine which one best meets your needs.