How to get points on physics forums?

• Thread starter pairofstrings
  • Start date
In summary, members can receive points on Physics Forums for breaching the PF Rules. These points, also known as infraction points, range from 1 to 10 depending on the severity of the violation. If a member accrues 8 or more points, they will be banned from the forum for 10 days. Infraction points can also result in a permanent ban if received after a temporary ban. Members have the option to appeal an infraction by contacting the Mentor who issued it. However, the Mentor's decision is final. Infraction points can expire after a certain length of time, but some never expire. To view your infraction points, go to your profile and click on the "Infractions" tab. The best
pairofstrings
There are points in my PF account, six points. How do I acquire more points? And what does it mean if I have an infraction and it is never going to expire? :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
Points are given for breaching the PF Rules. Quoting from them:
PF Rules said:
Disciplinary Action:
A member may be issued either a warning or an infraction if deemed warranted by an admin or mentor (usually from guideline noncompliance). Infractions range from 1 to 10 "points", depending on the severity of the violation; warnings carry no points. If a member accrues 8 or more infraction points, he or she will be automatically banned from Physics Forums for a period of 10 days. If a member receives any infraction after having returned from a temporary ban, that member will then be banned permanently. Obvious, incorrigible spamming or trouble making will be met with a permanent ban.

Appealing an infraction
If you feel an infraction is undeserved you may send a personal message to the Mentor in question (or if you feel it necessary a different Mentor) explaining why you do not feel the infraction was deserved. The issue will then be bought before the rest of the mentors who will discuss the matter before getting back to you. The Mentors decisions are final.
In other words points are bad hence being called infraction points. Infraction points have various lengths and expire after a certain length of time, some never expire.

When you were awarded the points an explanation would have come with them as a personal message explaining why you have received them. When you receive messages you will see a notification in the top right of your screen and there will be an alert when you click "My PF." If you have not read these check your inbox.

To see how you got the infraction points that you already have, go to your profile and click on the "Infractions" tab.

At the risk of re-stating the obvious, please do read your Private Messages (PM's) for specific explanations of why those points are there.

The fastest way of getting more points is to start a thread on one of the banned topics (they are listed for your convenience in the forum rules).

Related to How to get points on physics forums?

1. How can I earn points on Physics Forums?

To earn points on Physics Forums, you can participate in discussions and provide helpful answers to questions posted by other members. You can also create new threads and share your own knowledge and insights on various physics topics.

2. Are there any specific guidelines to follow in order to earn points?

Yes, there are certain guidelines that must be followed to earn points on Physics Forums. These include providing well-reasoned and well-explained answers, citing credible sources, and following the forum's code of conduct.

3. What is the point system on Physics Forums and how does it work?

The point system on Physics Forums is based on a member's level of contribution and expertise. Each post, thread, and answer is assigned a certain number of points, which are accumulated to determine a member's overall point score.

4. Can I redeem my points for rewards or prizes?

No, the points on Physics Forums cannot be redeemed for any rewards or prizes. They are simply a way to track a member's level of participation and contribution on the forum.

5. Are there any limitations on how many points I can earn on Physics Forums?

There are no set limitations on how many points you can earn on Physics Forums. However, the forum does have measures in place to prevent spamming or posting irrelevant content in order to earn points. Quality contributions are valued over quantity.