How to get expert help for a novel?

• Thread starter CCWilson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Novel
In summary, the speaker is writing a science fiction novel and has received helpful suggestions from this forum. They are now seeking advice on how to connect with professionals in astrophysics and aeronautical engineering for further consultation without being charged. Suggestions include reaching out to universities, networking through social media or professional organizations, and attending conferences or events related to the fields.
CCWilson
I'm writing a novel in the general category of science fiction, although it's set just a few years from now. I've gotten some good suggestions and information from members of this forum. There are a few questions that I feel require the help of a professional astrophysicist and an aeronautical engineer who might be willing to do a few calculations and spend some time answering my questions.

So the general question is this. Do you have any suggestions about how to hook up with professionals in a field who would be willing to spend a little quality time in face to face consultation without charging? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a specific question ask it in the appropriate science thread and I'm sure someone will have a go
at answering it. You may not get what you want but that's probably the best way.
If your question is a general one you probably aren't ready to be asking anything and need to work on the fiction.

I would suggest reaching out to universities or research institutions that have departments in astrophysics and aeronautical engineering. They may have professors or researchers who are willing to offer their expertise and time for free. You could also try networking through social media or professional organizations to see if anyone in those fields is open to providing consultation. Another option is to attend conferences or events related to science fiction or those specific fields, as you may have the opportunity to meet professionals in person and discuss your novel with them. Good luck with your writing!

Related to How to get expert help for a novel?

1. How do I find an expert to help me with my novel?

To find an expert to help you with your novel, you can start by reaching out to writing groups or workshops in your local area. You can also search for online writing communities where you can connect with other writers and potentially find experts who offer their services. Additionally, you can research and contact literary agents, writing coaches, or editors who specialize in the genre of your novel.

2. What qualifications should I look for in an expert for my novel?

When looking for an expert to help you with your novel, it is important to consider their qualifications such as their education, writing experience, and any published works. You may also want to look for someone who has experience in the specific genre or style of writing you are working on, as they will have a deeper understanding of the craft and industry.

3. How much should I expect to pay for expert help with my novel?

The cost of expert help for a novel can vary greatly depending on the services offered and the experience of the expert. Some may charge an hourly rate, while others may offer a flat fee for a specific service, such as manuscript editing. It is important to discuss pricing with potential experts and to have a clear understanding of their rates and services before committing to working with them.

4. What can I expect from working with an expert on my novel?

Working with an expert on your novel can provide valuable insight, feedback, and guidance throughout the writing process. They may offer constructive criticism, help with character development or plot structure, and provide tips on how to improve your writing skills. Ultimately, their goal is to help you create a polished and compelling novel that has the potential for success in the literary world.

5. Can an expert help me get my novel published?

While an expert can offer valuable assistance and advice, it is ultimately up to the writer to get their novel published. However, an expert can provide guidance on the publishing process, such as how to write a query letter or how to research and approach literary agents. They may also have connections in the industry that could potentially help you get your novel published.