How to find the Ionization energy of He+

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the equation E= (-Z^2 x Rh)/ n^2 to determine the second ionization energy of helium (He) and compares it to the experimentally determined ionization energies. The constant RH is given as 2.178x10^-18 and the calculated ionization energy for He+ is 8.712x10^-18 assuming n=1. The conversation suggests using the experimentally determined values from 'kalzium' to check the accuracy of the calculated value.
SWestad
Ok so I'm using the equation E= (-Z^2 x Rh)/ n^2
RH is a constant of 2.178x10^-18

I determined that the second ionization energy of He is the ionization energy of He+.

If my math is right, the ionization energy is 8.712x10^-18... this is assuming n=1, as I've determined it from ground state... But it that the ionization energy of He+?

Physics news on Phys.org
according to 'kalzium', a linux program which is basically a periodic table of the elements with all sorts of chemical data for each element, the experimentally determined ionization energies of helium (which you can look up for yourself on the internet) are:
24.587 ev
54.417 ev

obviously this isn't 'giving you the answer' since I doubt these will agree with your equation but they may give you a number to check your answer against. if your number is very different then its probably wrong. just use google to convert the units.

I would be floored if the 2 numbers are exactly the same.

Your calculation is correct. The ionization energy of He+ is indeed 8.712x10^-18 J, assuming n=1. This means that it takes 8.712x10^-18 J of energy to remove the outermost electron from a He+ ion, resulting in a He2+ ion. The ionization energy can vary depending on the specific energy level and configuration of the atom or ion, but this is a good estimate for the first ionization energy of He+. Keep in mind that this is a theoretical calculation and may not perfectly match experimental values due to factors such as electron-electron interactions and electron shielding.

Related to How to find the Ionization energy of He+

1. What is the definition of Ionization energy?

Ionization energy is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from a gaseous atom or ion in its ground state.

2. How can I calculate the Ionization energy of He+?

The Ionization energy of He+ can be calculated by using the equation: IE = -RH/n2, where IE is the Ionization energy, RH is the Rydberg constant (2.18 x 10-18 J), and n is the principal quantum number (1 for He+).

3. What factors affect the Ionization energy of He+?

The Ionization energy of He+ is affected by the nuclear charge, distance between the nucleus and the electron, and the shielding effect of other electrons in the atom.

4. Why is the Ionization energy of He+ higher than that of He?

The Ionization energy of He+ is higher than that of He because He+ has one less electron, making it harder to remove an electron due to the increased nuclear charge and decreased shielding effect.

5. How does the Ionization energy of He+ compare to that of other elements?

The Ionization energy of He+ is relatively high compared to other elements because it has a small atomic size and a strong nuclear charge, making it difficult to remove an electron.