Chemistry, Finding Ionization Energies

In summary, the ionization energies of Rb and Ag are 4.28 eV and 7.57 eV, respectively. The ionization energy of an electron in an orbital with the same energy as the highest energy electron in these two atoms is 4.28 eV.
andii2121
1. The ionization energies of Rb and Ag are 4.28 eV and 7.57 eV, respectively. Calculate the ionization energies of an H atom with its electron in the same orbitals as the highest energy electrons in these two atoms. Another way of thinking of this is: what would the ionization energies of RB and Ag be if they each only had one proton?

I wasn't sure on what equation to use for this problem or how to go about it.
I tried the E=-hcR∞(z^2/n^2) but got a negative number and that didn't seem right

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
andii2121 said:
1. The ionization energies of Rb and Ag are 4.28 eV and 7.57 eV, respectively. Calculate the ionization energies of an H atom with its electron in the same orbitals as the highest energy electrons in these two atoms. Another way of thinking of this is: what would the ionization energies of RB and Ag be if they each only had one proton?

I wasn't sure on what equation to use for this problem or how to go about it.
I tried the E=-hcR∞(z^2/n^2) but got a negative number and that didn't seem right

Well it sounds to me: you are supposed to be able to know from knowledge of atomic structure what orbital the outermost electron in Rb and in Ag are in. And then from the theory of the H atom (Schrodinger) you know what the energy of the corresponding orbitals in H are. You also know from same theory the ionisation energy of H (you remember that corresponds to where the spectral lines crowd together at a limit). Well these last things are also known from experiment, the spectra, i.e. the theory works well. But it might be easier to do the calculation than find the data! I don't know. So the difference between these two energies is the ionisation energy of an electron in that orbital in H.

The comparison with the other elements I guess gives a measure of the screening effect of all the other electrons in Rb and Ag. I had never heard or thought of this method of measuring the screening effect which they talk about in chemistry due to my stunted chemical education. I will be interested if you come back and tell us the conclusions.

Perhaps a proper chemist will come and confirm if this is the question, but it sounds like an intersting one to find the answer to, and useful revision in any case.

Related to Chemistry, Finding Ionization Energies

What is chemistry?

Chemistry is a branch of science that studies the composition, structure, and properties of matter, as well as the changes it undergoes.

What is ionization energy?

Ionization energy is the amount of energy required to remove an electron from an atom or molecule in its gaseous state.

Why is it important to find ionization energies?

Ionization energies are important because they can help us understand the reactivity of elements and predict how they will bond with other elements.

How do scientists determine ionization energies?

Scientists use methods such as spectroscopy and calculations based on the electron configuration of an atom to determine ionization energies.

What factors affect ionization energies?

The factors that affect ionization energies include the number of protons in the nucleus, the distance of the electron from the nucleus, and the shielding effect of inner electrons.