How to find the area of a triangular region using Green's Theorem

In summary, the problem requires the use of Green's Theorem to find the area of a tract of land with a boundary described by four line segments. To approach this, the area can be expressed as a double integral, and the derivatives of P and Q can be determined from this. The calculation may require more work than usual, but the principles are the same. The image provided shows the four line segments, and the next step would be to determine appropriate functions for P and Q and integrate over each segment.
Mohamed Abdul

Homework Statement

You have inherited a tract of land whose boundary is described as follows. ”From the oak tree in front of the house, go 1000 yards NE, then 1200 yards NW, then 800 yards S, and then back to the oak tree.

Homework Equations

Line integral of Pdx + Qdy = Double integral of partialQ/partialx - partialP/partialy

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm very confused as how to approach this function, given that I don't have any equations to work with. Do I start by having the first thousand yards extend from the origin, and then find the coordinates of the lines? I don't really know.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

I'm confused with this exercise too: there is nothing that is being asked. What's the problem in the problem statement ?

Mohamed Abdul said:

Homework Statement

You have inherited a tract of land whose boundary is described as follows. ”From the oak tree in front of the house, go 1000 yards NE, then 1200 yards NW, then 800 yards S, and then back to the oak tree.

Homework Equations

Line integral of Pdx + Qdy = Double integral of partialQ/partialx - partialP/partialy

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm very confused as how to approach this function, given that I don't have any equations to work with. Do I start by having the first thousand yards extend from the origin, and then find the coordinates of the lines? I don't really know.

Bad title: the region is not triangular. (Draw it and see for yourself.)

Green's Th is very useful for calculating irregular areas. You simply have to make appropriate choices for the functions P and Q. I suggest that you start by imposing a rectangular Cartesian coordinate system on the whole problem and then set up the integrals required for the area.

BvU said:
Hi,

I'm confused with this exercise too: there is nothing that is being asked. What's the problem in the problem statement ?
It just states to use Greene's Theorem to find the area. The thing is usually with Greene's Theorem we're given functions so I'm not sure how to proceed.

Mohamed Abdul said:
It just states to use Greene's Theorem to find the area. The thing is usually with Greene's Theorem we're given functions so I'm not sure how to proceed.
What functions could be useful in this context (as @DrDu hints at already) ?

I assume that you know how to express the area as a double integral. Write that out. That gives you the form for the derivatives of P and Q (hint: it is often simpler to choose one of P or Q as simply zero). The work back to what P and Q must be for the boundary integral.

Dr.D said:
I assume that you know how to express the area as a double integral. Write that out. That gives you the form for the derivatives of P and Q (hint: it is often simpler to choose one of P or Q as simply zero). The work back to what P and Q must be for the boundary integral.
I'm having trouble constructing the integral given that I have four different lines on my cartesian plane. Usually I just have to deal with 2 separate functions, but here it looks like there are four.

A triangle should only involve three lines (three angles and three sides). Please look again.

Mohamed Abdul said:
I'm having trouble constructing the integral given that I have four different lines on my cartesian plane. Usually I just have to deal with 2 separate functions, but here it looks like there are four.

So, the calculation will require twice as much work as you have done before, but the principles are no different from what you have done already.

Dr.D said:
A triangle should only involve three lines (three angles and three sides). Please look again.
yjkvhj1.jpg

This is the image I got, I'm not sure how to proceed from here though.

Attachments

• yjkvhj1.jpg
    yjkvhj1.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 935
Mohamed Abdul said:
View attachment 214427
This is the image I got, I'm not sure how to proceed from here though.

What are the ##P## and ##Q## that you want to use? What is preventing you from integrating ##P dx + Q dy## over each of the four line segments? You MUST TRY: we cannot do your work for you.

Related to How to find the area of a triangular region using Green's Theorem

1. What is Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the integral of a two-dimensional vector field over a closed region to the line integral along the boundary of that region. It is commonly used to calculate the area of a region bounded by a curve.

2. How does Green's Theorem relate to finding the area of a triangular region?

Green's Theorem can be used to find the area of a triangular region by converting the double integral over the region into a line integral along the boundary of the triangle. This line integral can then be solved using standard techniques to find the area.

3. What is the formula for finding the area of a triangular region using Green's Theorem?

The formula for finding the area of a triangular region using Green's Theorem is:
Area = 1/2 * ∫C (x dy - y dx)
Where C is the boundary of the triangle and the integral is evaluated in the counterclockwise direction.

4. Can Green's Theorem be used for all types of triangles?

Yes, Green's Theorem can be used for all types of triangles, including right, acute, and obtuse triangles. As long as the boundary of the triangle is known and the integral is evaluated in the correct direction, the area can be calculated using Green's Theorem.

5. Are there any limitations to using Green's Theorem for finding the area of a triangular region?

One limitation of using Green's Theorem is that it only applies to planar regions. This means that if the triangular region is curved or has varying thickness, Green's Theorem cannot be used to find its area. In addition, the boundary of the triangle must be a smooth curve, meaning it cannot have any sharp corners or discontinuities.