How to do arithmetic with an abacus?

• Thread starter AdrianZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arithmetic
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in mental math and their recent purchase of an abacus to aid in their calculations. They have learned basic arithmetic operations, but are looking for resources on how to do more advanced calculations with the abacus. The responder suggests the book "Rapid Math Tricks and Tips" by Edward H. Julius for mental math tips and a website that covers various techniques for using the abacus.
AdrianZ
I've recently been into mental math and I'm learning how to do arithmetic mentally without the need of calculators or computers, I know that abacus could be a great help for me now, so I bought one. I've figured out how to add and subtract numbers, I also have figured out how to do multiplication and division for small 2 digit numbers, but I don't know how to do advanced arithmetic with an abacus. Do you know any good book that teaches arithmetic with abacus? and do you know any good material to learn how to do mental calculations?

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to How to do arithmetic with an abacus?

1. How do I use an abacus to add numbers?

To add numbers using an abacus, place the first number on the abacus by moving the appropriate number of beads to the right. Then, place the second number on the abacus by moving the same number of beads to the right. Count the total number of beads on the abacus to find the sum.

2. How do I subtract numbers using an abacus?

To subtract numbers using an abacus, place the larger number on the abacus by moving the appropriate number of beads to the right. Then, take away the smaller number by moving the corresponding number of beads to the left. Count the remaining beads on the abacus to find the difference.

3. Can I use an abacus to multiply numbers?

Yes, an abacus can be used for multiplication. To multiply two numbers, place the first number on the abacus and then add the second number to the existing beads by moving the appropriate number of beads to the right. Count the total number of beads to find the product.

4. How do I divide numbers using an abacus?

To divide numbers using an abacus, start by placing the dividend (the number being divided) on the abacus. Then, use subtraction to take away the divisor (the number doing the dividing) until there are no more beads left. The number of times you were able to subtract the divisor is the quotient (the answer to the division problem).

5. Are there any tips for using an abacus more efficiently?

One tip for using an abacus more efficiently is to practice regularly and become familiar with the beads and their values. Another tip is to group numbers together on the abacus to make it easier to keep track of the total. Also, remember to always move the beads in the correct direction (to the right for addition, to the left for subtraction).