How to begin learning calculus at an early age?

In summary, the speaker, a thirteen year old, is passionate about learning calculus and possibly programming, but does not know how to start. They are advised to have a good understanding of Intermediate Algebra and basic Trigonometry before studying Calculus, and to also complete courses in Geometry and Pre-Calculus. The speaker is recommended to read "Basic Mathematics" by Serge Lang and "Pre-Calculus in a Nutshell" by George Simmons to prepare for Calculus. The Coursera app is also mentioned as a helpful resource.
0null
I am a thirteen year old passionate to learn calculus(and possibly programming) but i do not know how to start. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.coursera.org/learn/calculus1
They have programming also.

0null said:
I am a thirteen year old passionate to learn calculus(and possibly programming) but i do not know how to start. Please help.
The minimum you need is good understanding and skill in Intermediate Algebra and good understanding of basic Trigonometry and have practiced its exercises. Those alone are not enough for everybody. Most people need academic development from full courses of Geometry, and Elementary Functions/Pre-Calculus/College Algebra & Trigonometry, before beginning to study Calculus. (this all applies to learning Calculus; not "programming").

I suggest "Basic Mathematics" by Serge Lang and ""Pre-Calculus in a Nutshell" by George Simmon. Those two books will thoroughly prepare you for the 1-variable calculus at the computational level. They should take you month or two.

Dr. Courtney said:
https://www.coursera.org/learn/calculus1
They have programming also.
Thanks, just downloaded the app, it is great!

Related to How to begin learning calculus at an early age?

1. What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It is used to analyze and model complex systems and is essential in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Why should I learn calculus at an early age?

Learning calculus at an early age can help develop critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts. It can also open up opportunities for advanced studies and careers in STEM fields.

3. What is the best way to begin learning calculus at an early age?

The best way to begin learning calculus at an early age is by building a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry. These topics are essential for understanding the concepts of calculus. It is also helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor who can provide personalized instruction.

4. Can I learn calculus on my own at an early age?

While it is possible to learn calculus on your own, it is recommended to have a teacher or mentor to guide you. Self-study can be challenging, and having someone to ask questions and provide feedback can greatly enhance the learning experience.

5. Are there any resources available for learning calculus at an early age?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning calculus at an early age. Online courses, textbooks, and educational websites can provide interactive lessons and practice problems. Additionally, there are many books and videos specifically designed for young learners interested in calculus.