How the heck does one switch degrees from Undergrad to Masters?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing higher education in a field that may not be directly related to one's undergraduate degree. It mentions examples of individuals who have successfully pursued this path, such as engineers studying computer science or a language major pursuing a PhD in physics. It also emphasizes the importance of researching and gathering information from schools before making decisions about higher education.
Aichuk
I was talking to my cousin about how some engineers study MBA after finish their undergrad. She herself is did BBA and told me that MBA is relatively easy as it mainly is common sense.

However, I was reading about people who studied Economics, Engineering, etc. in undergrad and then studied Computer Science in Masters. In fact, I have an uncle who did Mech. Eng. till Masters and then got a doctorate in Computer Science. And he didn't even have much of a knowledge on computers but suddenly felt like studying it and he did well as far as I know. This makes me wonder, don't technical degrees like computer science require advanced knowledge on stuff? Can one really cover up the 4-5 years lost when they take it for higher level studies.

Physics news on Phys.org
The 4 years of undergrad study contain a lot more than just pure major-area courses. Besides general education requirements, there's a lot of shared knowledge and training between engineering and science fields. For example, engineering programs tend to require many of the same math courses (or some variation thereof) and intro science courses that grad-school-bound computer scientists will need. There would likely be some programming courses, maybe some control systems or algorithms or something like that as well. And overall, there's just a lot of structural similarity between what you might learn in ME and CS. Some of the specific details can be picked up later without too much trouble.

The details of what a graduate degree requires for preparation will depend very strongly on the school, the degree, the subject, etc. Before making a lot of decisions that are hard to change, get information from schools you are interested in going to. Find out what they require for admission, what they suggest as good preparation, etc. Google is your friend. Many schools put their course calendar on line. Many profs will answer email from potential students giving helpful advice.

There are lots of people who take unusual paths that you might not expect. When I was doing my doctorate in physics, one of my co-students had an undergrad degree in languages. He spoke about 6 different languages fluently. But he had taken nearly no math, and no computing, as an undergrad. Yet he was kicking butt as a physics grad student.

And one of my profs had no undergrad degree at all, but had gotten his PhD in physics at Oxford. Of course, he got admitted based on a letter of recommendation from Einstein.

Related to How the heck does one switch degrees from Undergrad to Masters?

1. How do I know if I am ready for a Master's degree?

Deciding to pursue a Master's degree is a big decision and it is important to make sure you are ready for the commitment. Factors to consider include your academic performance in your undergraduate degree, your passion for the subject area, and your future career goals. It is also helpful to talk to professors and current graduate students to get a better understanding of the expectations and workload of a Master's program.

2. Can I switch from a different undergraduate degree to a Master's degree in a different field?

Yes, it is possible to switch from an undergraduate degree in one field to a Master's degree in a different field. However, it may require taking prerequisite courses or completing a bridge program to gain the necessary knowledge and skills for the new field. It is important to research and understand the requirements of the Master's program you are interested in and to communicate with the admissions office to determine the best path for you.

3. What is the difference between a thesis-based and course-based Master's degree?

A thesis-based Master's degree involves conducting original research and writing a thesis, while a course-based Master's degree involves completing a set of required courses and possibly a final project or comprehensive exam. The choice between these two types of Master's degrees depends on your academic and career goals. A thesis-based degree is more research-focused and may be required for certain careers, while a course-based degree may be more suited for those seeking practical skills and knowledge in a specific field.

4. How long does it take to complete a Master's degree?

The length of a Master's degree can vary depending on the program and whether it is full-time or part-time. On average, a Master's degree takes 1-2 years to complete. However, some programs may offer accelerated options or allow students to take longer to complete their degree. It is important to consider your personal circumstances and academic goals when deciding on the pace of your Master's degree.

5. What are the requirements for admission into a Master's degree program?

The specific requirements for admission into a Master's degree program can vary, but generally, you will need a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, a minimum GPA, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose. Some programs may also require standardized test scores, such as the GRE. It is important to research the specific requirements of the program you are interested in and to start preparing your application early.