How Should You Restart Exercise After a Long Break?

• Thread starter enigma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercise
In summary: Massaging his sore muscle? No wonder you got kicked out of the nuns :grumpy: Say ten Hail Marys before doing some serious soul-searching.
enigma
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ow.

Just about all I can say. I lifted weights for the first time in the last 9 years today.

It's been over 12 hours, and I'm still having problems walking. Particularly up and down stairs.

I can't extend my arms all the way. Should have used the lighter dumbells for the curls.

On a positive note, I can still throw up a 100lb benchpress like it's nothing. Nowhere near my high-school rep or max, but better than I was afraid of.

I'm really afraid because I need to go back now. No point in subjecting myself to this pain if I just let it rot away again.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ouch.

After a 9 year hiatus, best to start light, as in 10-15 lbs in each arm, and gently do full range of motion. Then go up by 5 or 10 lb increments.

Also stretch the muscles gently.

Believe it or not, chocolate can help muscles recover.

12 hours? Uh oh. :-p I find recovery fatigue is worst a full day or even two days after exercising. In any case, it gets a lot easier to handle after you've been doing it even for a week or so. Remember to stretch before and after.

Astronuc said:
Ouch.

After a 9 year hiatus, best to start light, as in 10-15 lbs in each arm, and gently do full range of motion. Then go up by 5 or 10 lb increments.

Also stretch the muscles gently.

I agree on that, take it easy when starting out and make sure you're getting your form right (after a 9 year hiatus, make sure you remind yourself of the proper form for everything; it's amazing how easily you can forget simple things that can lead to injury). Then again, the first week back, it does hurt the worst because you need to test out what you can handle, which inevitably means overdoing it on some things.

Believe it or not, chocolate can help muscles recover.

Just what I needed, another excuse to eat chocolate! Now there's a good reason to get back to the gym. :smile: Sorry, enigma, I'd have sent chocolate cookies if I knew that.

BTW, stretches before and after weight lifting, and full range.

Stretching can also help increase muscle strength.

enigma said:
I can't extend my arms all the way. Should have used the lighter dumbells for the curls.

:smile: Oh no! I did that once after a gap of about 2 years. I couldn't straighten my arms for about two days. Give it at least a week, and get back into it - gradually. Meantime, hot bath + Deep Heat (I'm not sure what you call it) should help. Plus a couple of beers.
http://www.mypharmacy.co.uk/medicines/medicines/d/deep_heat/deep_heat.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Hehe, tomorrow it may be even worse. o:)

After a two year break from figurskating and dancing A LOT i tried wallclimbing. In addition to having weak muscle strength and stamina, I found my breath and pulse very high in no time. So, if you've had a break in general exercise, jogging or swimming a couple of times a week may give a more enjoyable wight lifting session.

Oh, and I've been climbing now for three weeks and I still have soar muscless, even if I stretch...

Keep this for future reference.

http://www.questdiagnostics.com/kbase/topic/special/tw4354spec/sec1.htm

As the number 42 suggested - hot bath + Deep Heat (or Ben-Gay) will help.

Just do stretches for now - slowly and full range of motion.

Mix running or swimming (not too cold water though) with weight training.

Also, a hot tub or jacuzzi is nice after weight lifting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finding a girlfriend willing to massage the sore muscles isn't a bad way to go either. :wink: :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Finding a girlfriend willing to massage the sore muscles isn't a bad way to go either. :wink: :biggrin:

The best way to go really. :rolleyes:

Moonbear said:

Ooh, that's pure filth Moonbear. Willing girls massaging his sore muscle? No wonder you got kicked out of the nuns Say ten Hail Marys before doing some serious soul-searching.

franznietzsche said:
The best way to go really. :rolleyes:

And you're just as bad for encouraging her

the number 42 said:
And you're just as bad for encouraging her

Maybe we should start our own monastery? "The Monks of prudence"? Someone has to keep these "nuns" in order.

Whay-haay! Now you're talking. Nothing those nuns like more than a monk in need of a massage :biggrin: (Greg: can we get a 'drooling leer' smiley please?)

And thanks Astronuc. ICE will be no problem. It's the R that's difficult.

Yess, 42! Putting those healing hands to good use and away from mischief sound perfect! And what in the world could bring more joy to someone devoted to charity? :biggrin:

Why did you have to bring this up!?

The memories of being big and making me sad.

Note: It's best to stretch between sets. Most people stand around, but you're suppose to stretch. It's not a "rest" period; it's a "stretch" period. Chocolate doesn't help and I have no clue who would tell you that. Chocolate might recover some carbs that you never eat or give you a fraction of protein, but that's it. The best thing to do is drink milk and eat some cheese, or something with high protein in it. Also, eat lots of carbs before the workout (preferably an hour or 2 before).

the number 42 said:
Ooh, that's pure filth Moonbear. Willing girls massaging his sore muscle? No wonder you got kicked out of the nuns Say ten Hail Marys before doing some serious soul-searching.

o:) Oh, no, I'm totally innocent. I said my Hail Marys. Do you think that really dark storm cloud forming overhead means anything? I'm still doing the soul-searching, still haven't found it. :devil:

Moonbear said:
o:) Oh, no, I'm totally innocent. I said my Hail Marys. Do you think that really dark storm cloud forming overhead means anything? I'm still doing the soul-searching, still haven't found it. :devil:

Yikes :rolleyes: I forgot about your Blair County 'innocent' yet highly spooky folk-rhyme last week. Never mind sore arms, my tail was killing me for days. :frown: On the upside, I was much better at hiking with my new cloven hooves, good while they lasted.

the number 42 said:
Yikes :rolleyes: I forgot about your Blair County 'innocent' yet highly spooky folk-rhyme last week. Never mind sore arms, my tail was killing me for days. :frown: On the upside, I was much better at hiking with my new cloven hooves, good while they lasted.

How long do the hooves last? Nobody's ever stuck around long enough after saying that rhyme before for me to find out. :-p

enigma said:
It's been over 12 hours, and I'm still having problems walking. Particularly up and down stairs.

12 hours? I hate to break it to you, but you're in for a long week.

russ_watters said:
12 hours? I hate to break it to you, but you're in for a long week.

Yeah, you always know it's really bad when you can feel the muscles tightening and hurting the same day you did the exercise. He may not be online tonight if he can't lift his arms to type.

I know a lot of people rave about those topical ointments (Ben-Gay, Liquid Ice, etc.), but I don't give them much credence. All most of them do is inflame the skin enough to make it feel warm locally, but it's all topical and doesn't really do anything for the muscle. A hot shower will penetrate heat deeper than those ointments. Some ibuprofen will take the edge off the pain so you can function...if you can muster up the strength to get the cap off the bottle. :-p

But, hey, he's got a date tomorrow night, so now he can mention overdoing it at his workout and see if she'll volunteer a massage. :approve: (Though, I never manage to get much sympathy on that sort of thing...last time I overdid it was before Christmas when I volunteered to help with Toys for Tots and was lifting a lot of heavy boxes of toys...my friends just made fun of me and told me that's what I get for trying to keep up with a bunch of Marines...but, but, but, I wasn't just trying to keep up, I was trying to show them up! :biggrin: :rolleyes: Guess that was where I went wrong.)

If you can overcome the pain of lifting the first drink or two to your mouth at the bar tomorrow, it should start feeling better after that. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Yeah, you always know it's really bad when you can feel the muscles tightening and hurting the same day you did the exercise ...But, hey, he's got a date tomorrow night, so now he can mention overdoing it at his workout and see if she'll volunteer a massage

You have a ONE - TRACK - MIND. "You've been hit by a truck, lying in this hospital ward and all... But check the buns on THAT! Woah! You know what nurses are like. Boy I reckon she's fixin' to gib you one o' them spunge baaaths" etc etc.

Shame Moonbear, shame. It must be all that biology you stare at all day. Try 20 Our Fathers this time.

the number 42 said:
Try 20 Our Fathers this time.

Just do a full rosary. Its the only way to save your soul now. :biggrin:

franznietzsche said:
Just do a full rosary. Its the only way to save your soul now. :biggrin:

Don't tell her to 'do' a rosary. Haven't you seen The Exorcist?

the number 42 said:
You have a ONE - TRACK - MIND. "You've been hit by a truck, lying in this hospital ward and all... But check the buns on THAT! Woah! You know what nurses are like. Boy I reckon she's fixin' to gib you one o' them spunge baaaths" etc etc.

That reminds me to get back to that campaign to increase the numbers of men entering nursing careers. :biggrin:

Shame Moonbear, shame. It must be all that biology you stare at all day. Try 20 Our Fathers this time.

:bugeye: Now that dark storm cloud is starting to swirl in a really menacing sort of way. This isn't looking good. I think I may need to head for the basement if I start saying the entire Rosary! :eek:

I don't know, my back is somewhat sore from sitting in this chair all day, maybe I'm just wishing someone would give me a massage. :rolleyes: *wishes she hadn't rejected that applicant with certificate in massage therapy*

Moonbear said:
That reminds me to get back to that campaign to increase the numbers of men entering nursing careers. :biggrin:

Oh Mooners, how low you stoop. "Numbers of men entering nurses"? I fear you are beyond the reach of the rosary.

Moonbear said:
I don't know, my back is somewhat sore from

Yes yes, we get the picture. You can spare us the details. Poor lost child. If only you had followed the chaste path of chemistry, instead of the sullied lure of the biological...

the number 42 said:
I fear you are beyond the reach of the rosary.

Oh, I could have told you that a long time ago. :smile: I suppose eating lots of seafood on Fridays won't help redeem me, will it?

Yes yes, we get the picture. You can spare us the details. Poor lost child. If only you had followed the chaste path of chemistry, instead of the sullied lure of the biological...

But biology is so much more fun! :biggrin: :cool:

Moonbear said:
But biology is so much more fun! :biggrin: :cool:

Spirit of Lust! The power of Christ compels you! Leave this woman!

I just watched stigmata last night. Freaky stuff.

Somebody... please... shoot... me...

30 minutes in the pool.

Felt really good (tiring, but good) when I was in the water. Bringing myself out of the neutral bouyancy environment _quickly_ caused my muscles to start complaining.

So yeah. Someone please put me out of my misery?

enigma said:

30 minutes in the pool.

Felt really good (tiring, but good) when I was in the water. Bringing myself out of the neutral bouyancy environment _quickly_ caused my muscles to start complaining.

I got some grey goose lying around, good vodka. I'll send some of that through the internet to ya.

Mmmmm. Yummy. With tonic and lime, please.

enigma said:

30 minutes in the pool.

Next time go for a hot tub rather than a pool. That'll feel really good on those sore muscles, though even harder to talk yourself into getting out of the water. :biggrin:

I'd give you that massage you need, but your prospective girlfriend might not like that very much.

Enigma! So how're the arms after one week?

They were fine by Sunday, and are still ok today.