How plausible would be an object like The Way from Greg Bear's Eon?

• Thread starter dendros
  • Start date
In summary, two novels by author Greg Bear, Eternity and Eon, both feature an artificial universe known as The Way, which is a cylindrical distortion of space-time created by advanced machinery. However, based on current understanding, it is not possible to create an infinitely long distortion of space-time in the real universe. The concept described in the novels is purely fictional and not based on real physics.
dendros
A long time ago I have read the novel Eternity by Greg Bear and recently I have read the novel Eon by the same author. In both novels there is described an object/construct called The Way which is basically an artificial universe, a seemingly infinitely long cylinder-like distortion of space-time generated by some very advanced machinery.
Is that possible in the real Universe, based on what we know today? If yes, I'm struggling to imagine how would be possible to create an infinitely long distortion of space-time.
I'm aware that any answer would be pure speculation and that's why I have opened this thread in this section, I hope I didn't break any rules.

Physics news on Phys.org
dendros said:
Is that possible in the real Universe, based on what we know today?

No.

You can readily answer your own question, @dendros, by reading the Wiki article on Bear's novels where it describes the construction of The Way and looking up some of the terms. They are first order gobbledygook, great science fiction terminology actually, but it is entirely nonsensical and based on declared fictional physics of the kind sci-fi authors often (need to) engage into transcend the constraints of how our actual universe works and allow for plot devices such as faster than light travel / comms.

I've invented such myself, it's terrific fun to write, but it's not even a little bit real.

Related to How plausible would be an object like The Way from Greg Bear's Eon?

1. How is The Way in Greg Bear's Eon scientifically possible?

The Way is a concept that is not currently supported by scientific evidence. It is a fictional construct created by the author for the purpose of the story.

2. Is The Way similar to any existing scientific theories or concepts?

The Way in Greg Bear's Eon does have some similarities to the concept of a wormhole, which is a hypothetical tunnel through space-time that connects two distant points.

3. Could The Way actually exist in our universe?

As of now, there is no scientific evidence to support the existence of The Way. However, with advancements in technology and theoretical physics, it is possible that similar phenomena could be discovered in the future.

4. How does The Way affect the laws of physics?

The Way, as described in Greg Bear's Eon, defies many of the laws of physics as we currently understand them. It allows for instantaneous travel across vast distances and the manipulation of space-time. However, it is important to remember that this is a work of fiction and should not be taken as a representation of real-world physics.

5. Could The Way be used for practical purposes in the real world?

As The Way is a fictional construct, it cannot be used for practical purposes in the real world. However, it does serve as a thought-provoking concept that can inspire scientific exploration and advancements in our understanding of the universe.