How much calculus is used in statistics?

In summary, a statistical methods course would involve a lot of calculus and use of statistics software.
Wm_Davies
I am a physics major and unfortunately this semester there is almost no classes that I can take in my major field of study due to not having the proper prerequisites. So I am looking for a course that will keep my math skills honed. I am really interested in taking statistical methods which seems like it will involve calc and certainly matrices. How much calc is generally involved in a statistical methods course?

The course description is as follows:

FYI: MTH 182 is Calculus II and I have taken two 200 level math courses (Multivariable Calculus and Linear Algebra).

Prerequisites: MTH 182 and a 200-level mathematics course. Issues of data collection, use and misuse, graphical and numerical summary techniques, basic probability, discrete random variables, continuous random variables, central limit theorem, confidence intervals, hypothesis testing of a proportion, hypothesis testing of a mean, 2 sample hypothesis testing, chi square testing, regression. Appropriate statistical software used extensively.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wm_Davies said:
I am a physics major and unfortunately this semester there is almost no classes that I can take in my major field of study due to not having the proper prerequisites. So I am looking for a course that will keep my math skills honed. I am really interested in taking statistical methods which seems like it will involve calc and certainly matrices. How much calc is generally involved in a statistical methods course?

The course description is as follows:

FYI: MTH 182 is Calculus II and I have taken two 200 level math courses (Multivariable Calculus and Linear Algebra).

Prerequisites: MTH 182 and a 200-level mathematics course. Issues of data collection, use and misuse, graphical and numerical summary techniques, basic probability, discrete random variables, continuous random variables, central limit theorem, confidence intervals, hypothesis testing of a proportion, hypothesis testing of a mean, 2 sample hypothesis testing, chi square testing, regression. Appropriate statistical software used extensively.

Hey there.

Anything involving continuous distributions will get you using calculus.

Anything involving multivariable distributions will get you using multivariable calculus and as such will get you using matrices.

Also some stuff with discrete will get you using continuous distributions in the case of the central limit theorem and approximating distributions such as large binomial distributions (which are discrete) by using normal approximations with so called "continuity correction".

Some of the time you will have to evaluate integrals, but they won't have closed form analytical expressions so you will use tables especially when you are doing "statistics" over just probability calculations where you use normal, gamma and student t distributions.

That definitely makes sense! Thanks! :)

Related to How much calculus is used in statistics?

1. How much calculus do I need to know for statistics?

It depends on the level of statistics you are studying. Basic statistics courses typically require a minimal understanding of calculus, while advanced statistics courses may require a more in-depth knowledge. However, a strong understanding of calculus can greatly enhance your understanding and application of statistics.

2. What specific calculus topics are important for statistics?

The most important calculus topics for statistics include derivatives, integrals, and optimization techniques. These concepts are used in statistical analysis to calculate probabilities, determine the most likely outcomes, and optimize models.

3. Can I learn statistics without knowing calculus?

Yes, it is possible to learn basic statistics without a deep understanding of calculus. However, as you progress in your studies and encounter more complex statistical concepts, a knowledge of calculus will become increasingly important.

4. How does calculus relate to statistical analysis?

Calculus provides the mathematical foundation for statistical analysis. It allows us to model and analyze complex systems, make predictions, and infer relationships between variables. Many statistical techniques, such as regression analysis, are based on calculus principles.

5. Is it necessary to be good at calculus to excel in statistics?

While a strong proficiency in calculus can certainly be helpful, it is not necessary to be an expert in calculus to excel in statistics. Understanding the basic principles and being able to apply them to statistical problems is more important. However, a good understanding of calculus can help you better understand and interpret statistical results.