How materials can be broken-a conceptual understanding

In summary, the shapes we see around us are due to the intermolecular forces that hold the molecules together. If you want to break the material, you have to exceed the force that holds it together first.
chandran
concept problem

There is a material and it is pulled by a distance by applying a force F. Tell me whether my intuitions is correct

1.In the world around we see materials of different shapes because the inter molecular forces bonds the molecules together in such shapes.

2.If one likes to break the material he should first exceed the inter molecular force(or cut the inter molecular force)

3.My question is what is the value of that inter molecular force. If i know that it is equal to "f" i will apply a force greater than "f" and then break the material.

4.How to calculate the inter molecular force.

5.Will my understanding of the above lead to the derivation of the stress & strain.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Look for stress-strain diagram of a material. The tests specifications are given by the ASTM (American Society for Testing Materials), you might want to check that, too.

chandran said:
3.My question is what is the value of that inter molecular force. If i know that it is equal to "f" i will apply a force greater than "f" and then break the material.

5.Will my understanding of the above lead to the derivation of the stress & strain.

I don't think you can just "derive" a stress-strain curve for a material. The interactions between molecules in the material are VERY complex, They don't just simply break, and that's it; the material sample will elongate with plastic deformation, crystalline grain structures can break and then re-attach to the next offset molecule (which is what causes the permanenet plastic deformation). The molecular interactions are so incredibly complex not even the biggest supercomputer can think about trying to solve it, we're talking about degrees of freedom on the order of 100 times avogadro's number!

You would also have to take into account things like interstitial molecules in the grain structure for alloys, imperfections, grain structures and orientations, grain size, pre-stressing, the list goes on forever!

While it seems like a good idea, the fact is you would need an accurate model that knew exactly how the molecules in the material were behaving, and then you would need to model EVERY MOLECULE in the sample. Prorfessors have spent their entire careers studying and trying to understand the nuances of material science, and they will be the first to tell you they have no way to model a tensile or hardness test. It is not entirely understood how the molecules interact in complex situations like the tensile test. This is why the stress-strain curve is derived experimentally, not calculated from basic material properties.

Then of course there is work hardening, and fatigue, which are even deeper subjects than this, and definitely can't be described without real-world data... They can barely be described with empirical testing!

Hope this helps some, or at least let's you know what you're in for :smile:

Most everything I'd have said has been covered by Mech Eng above, but to address the specific questions...
chandran said:
1.In the world around we see materials of different shapes because the inter molecular forces bonds the molecules together in such shapes.
Very rarely is this true (eg: shape of a raindrop or soap bubble or snowflake). Most things are the shape they are because of external factors (eg: the glass on your window was rolled into that shape by a machine).

2.If one likes to break the material he should first exceed the inter molecular force(or cut the inter molecular force)
In general this is true.

Only with a perfectly pure, strain-free single-crystal.

However, the term "intermolecular force" is itself a little misleading. In a metal, for instance, the glue that hold the atoms together is provided by the (delocalized) free electrons - there are no molecules involved. In a polycrystalline material there is no single value for the "intermolecular force".

Again, only for a pure single-crystal does such a calculation exist. It usually involves some form of the Tight Binding model, but even here, the more accurate calculations use hand-fed parameters. For a purely crystalline ionic solid the Madelung formulation provides solutions for simple cases.

Maybe a little. That's only just the tip of the iceberg.

And now for the bombshell (after all this talk about interatomic forces): There is no net force experienced by the atoms/molecules/ions in a solid under equilibrium.

Even Newton could have told you that. :wink:

Last edited:

Related to How materials can be broken-a conceptual understanding

1. What causes materials to break?

Materials can break due to various factors such as applied forces, fatigue, and defects in their structure. Applied forces, like pulling or compressing, can exceed the material's strength and cause it to break. Fatigue occurs when materials are subject to repeated stress over time, leading to cracks and ultimately failure. Defects in the material's structure, such as voids or impurities, can also weaken its strength and cause it to break.

2. How do different materials break?

Different materials break in different ways depending on their composition and structure. For example, brittle materials like glass or ceramics tend to break suddenly and without warning, while ductile materials like metals can deform and bend before finally breaking. Some materials, like polymers, can exhibit both brittle and ductile behavior depending on the conditions.

3. Can materials be designed to be unbreakable?

No material is truly unbreakable, as all materials have a breaking point. However, materials can be designed and engineered to be highly resistant to breaking under certain conditions. For example, materials used in aerospace or military applications are often designed to withstand extreme forces and stress without breaking.

4. How does temperature affect the breaking of materials?

Temperature can have a significant impact on the breaking of materials. In general, high temperatures can make materials more susceptible to breaking due to increased atomic motion and weakening of interatomic bonds. However, some materials, like metals, can exhibit improved ductility at higher temperatures, making them less likely to break.

5. Can materials be repaired once they are broken?

It depends on the type of material and the extent of the damage. Some materials, like glass or ceramics, cannot be easily repaired once broken. However, others, like metals, can be repaired through processes like welding or soldering. In recent years, advancements in materials science have also led to the development of self-healing materials that can repair themselves when damaged.