How many problems to do from Jackson EM?

• Classical
  • Thread starter hgandh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Em Jackson
In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of completing all the problems in a physics textbook and suggests seeking out alternative problem sets from other sources. It also suggests using online resources and programming to aid in understanding the physics without having to complete all the calculations by hand.
hgandh
Ideally one would want to do every problem in the book. However, the problems just take too much time and I was wondering if anyone had a recommended problem sets that tests the essentials of each chapter. I am self-studying from the book and feel some problems are overkill.
Thanks

Likes davidbenari
I haven't done this myself, but If I were you I would check out MIT's OCW site and see if their graduate EM courses use this book. Most probably you'll see assigned homeworks from this book. Check it out. You're definitely not the first one to think this book is a hard time, if you check out amazon's page you'll see many people think the same...

hgandh said:
Ideally one would want to do every problem in the book. However, the problems just take too much time and I was wondering if anyone had a recommended problem sets that tests the essentials of each chapter. I am self-studying from the book and feel some problems are overkill.
Thanks

My advice, put down Jackson and pick up Landau and Lifschitz.

Alternatively, http://physics.ucsd.edu/students/courses/spring2014/physics203b/?page=Homework which gives you some problems from the text chapters 7-10 that grad students would do at UCSD, with solutions, exams and those solutions.

The solution sets for Jackson can be found online with a little work, and you can always reference them when completely stuck. Further, using a little programming you can get the gist of the physics without doing the messy calculations by hand, and possibly do every problem if that's your end goal.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and davidbenari

Related to How many problems to do from Jackson EM?

1. How many problems should I do from Jackson EM?

It is recommended to do all the problems from Jackson EM to fully understand the material and improve problem-solving skills. However, if you are short on time, try to at least complete the odd-numbered problems as they have solutions provided in the back of the book.

2. Is it necessary to do all the problems from Jackson EM?

While it is not necessary to do all the problems, it is highly recommended to do so for a better understanding of the subject. Physics is a hands-on subject and practicing problems helps solidify concepts and improve problem-solving abilities.

3. How many problems should I do from each chapter in Jackson EM?

It is best to do as many problems as possible from each chapter in Jackson EM. However, if you are short on time, focus on the problems that cover the main concepts and formulas of the chapter.

4. Should I only focus on the problems from Jackson EM or should I supplement with other resources?

While Jackson EM provides a comprehensive set of problems, it is always beneficial to supplement with other resources such as textbooks, online resources, or practice exams. This will give you a wider range of problems to practice and help reinforce your understanding of the subject.

5. How can I efficiently do a large number of problems from Jackson EM?

It is best to break down the problems into smaller sets and work on them consistently over a period of time. This will prevent burnout and allow for better retention of information. Also, try to understand the underlying concepts and principles rather than just memorizing solutions.