Jackson's Electrodynamics: 1st edition vs 3rd edition

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between the first and third editions of Jackson's Electrodynamics book. The preface of the third edition outlines the changes, with the biggest difference being the use of SI units. The speaker suggests using Griffiths' Intro to Electrodynamics as a background for starting Jackson's text, but also mentions the need for Mathematical Physics prerequisites. They also express a preference for the first or second edition over the third due to the use of Gaussian units.
hgandh
Hello all. I am currently using Jackson's Electrodynamics book to study the subject and was wondering how different is the 1st edition from the 3rd. So far, I have read the first chapter and have done most of the problems from the first edition. My question is, how much will I miss out on if I use the first edition over the 3rd for the remainder of the book? (I found the 1st edition for free so I don't really want to spend money on the 3rd if it's not completely necessary).
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The preface for the third edition outlines the changes in detail. I think you can make your own determination based on that info. Probably the biggest difference is that the third edition uses SI units, which might make things easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the first edition in a course when the instructor was using the third edition. I didn't have any problems with the content, but some of the problems had changed. When this happened, I just photocopied the updated problem from one of the other students.

Would Griffiths' Intro to Electrodynamics be sufficient background for starting Jackson's text?

Griffith might give the electrodynamic background, but Jackson would probably need some Mathematical Physics prerequisite like from Arfken, or Byron and Fuller, Seshadri, or the comprehensive Morse and Feshbach.

I'd prefer the 1st or 2nd edition over the 3rd, because the former two are written entirely in the 2nd-best choice of units (the Gaussian units; the best choice are rationlized Heaviside-Lorentz units). SCNR ;-).

Related to Jackson's Electrodynamics: 1st edition vs 3rd edition

1. What are the main differences between the 1st and 3rd editions of Jackson's Electrodynamics?

The 3rd edition includes updated content to reflect developments in the field of electrodynamics since the publication of the 1st edition. This includes new sections on topics such as electromagnetic waves in dielectrics, radiation from accelerating charges, and electromagnetic potentials.

2. Does the 3rd edition contain any additional material compared to the 1st edition?

Yes, the 3rd edition includes 20 new problems and solutions, as well as a new appendix on vector calculus identities.

3. Are there any changes in notation between the 1st and 3rd editions?

Yes, the 3rd edition uses a more modern and consistent notation, including the use of bold letters for vectors and tensors.

4. How do the 1st and 3rd editions differ in terms of difficulty level?

The 3rd edition is generally considered to be more challenging than the 1st edition, as it includes more advanced topics and exercises.

5. Is it necessary to have both the 1st and 3rd editions, or is the 3rd edition sufficient?

It is not necessary to have both editions, as the 3rd edition includes all of the content from the 1st edition and more. However, some may find it useful to have both for comparison or for access to additional problems and solutions.