How many hours a week do you spend in grad school?

In summary: Hahahaha, yeah... My work hours resemble a exponential function... hehehe. They increase when it gets closer to my weekly meeting with my advisor. Funny thing, My "free day" starts right after the weekely... meeting.

How many hours do you spend in a typical week of physics grad school?

• <30

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • 30-40

• 40-50

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • 50-60

• 60-70

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 70-80

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • >80

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
mbuchove
I just wanted to get an idea of how much time people spend in physics graduate school on an average week. This includes anything you do necessary for your degree, including coursework, teaching, research, and so on. I'm passionate about pursuing physics, and I'm not expecting it to be easy or relaxed, but I would like to get an idea if it is beyond my limits.

Physics news on Phys.org
So anything necessary includes homework correct? Remember, depending on what grad school and your needs and circumstances, you may not teach or do research (at times) or even be taking real classes!

My first year I spent about 60-70 hours working on any given week. After I passed my qualifier it became a heck of a lot easier. During the summers I usually spend 40 hours a week at work on research. During the school year I'm usually taking one class, which adds an additional 5 to 8 hours per week.

mbuchove said:
I just wanted to get an idea of how much time people spend in physics graduate school on an average week. This includes anything you do necessary for your degree, including coursework, teaching, research, and so on. I'm passionate about pursuing physics, and I'm not expecting it to be easy or relaxed, but I would like to get an idea if it is beyond my limits.

Haha, your poll only goes up to 80 hours...

A little math:

(24 hrs - 6 hr)*7 = 126 hours a week

And you expect to spend only 60% of that working?

I typically work from the hours of 2pm (when I wake up) until 4:30-5 am.

Of that time, probably 80% is doing work.

Thats roughly 98 hours a week.

I spent the entire last week working on a poster, and the week before that I had to work on a presentation for the client on friday. I'll probably drive down to NASA later this week which is a 10 hour drive both ways. I was at a conference this morning. But for now, I can go back to some actual research. I'll start part time work mid month hopefully at an Aerospace company hopefully.

Very very busy.

Last edited:
If anyone doesn't answer, "All of them," I'm going to report you to your mentors! :biggrin:

Most of the time I work around 10-6, 5 days a week, and over the weekend if I've nothing else to do. Of course, there are weeks that are busier, because you're, say, pretty close to finishing a calculation, or writing something up, but then there are weeks that are quieter (the creative juices don't flow all the time!)

As I'm sure you'll find out from this thread, people work best with wildly different schedules.. you've just got to find which suits you.

Moonbear said:
"All of them,"

That probably says it best!

Moonbear said:
If anyone doesn't answer, "All of them," I'm going to report you to your mentors! :biggrin:

Oh crap, don't tell him that I have a life outside of the office! My advisor thinks that when I'm at home I'm working remotely.

arunma said:
Oh crap, don't tell him that I have a life outside of the office! My advisor thinks that when I'm at home I'm working remotely.

:smile: This thread is starting to read like one of the PhD Comics. :smile:

I’d say most of my free time devoted for physics, so sure it's >80.

drizzle said:
I’d say most of my free time devoted for physics, so sure it's >80.

Your clearly not a grad student if your 'free time' is devoted to physics.

Cyrus said:
You're clearly not a grad student if your 'free time' is devoted to physics.

well does it have to be for study?! what about interest

drizzle said:
well does it have to be for study?! what about interest

Did you read my post?

Cyrus said:
Did you read my post?

why don't spell it out!

drizzle said:
why don't spell it out!

If you can't understand my post, again, clearly not a grad student. Go back to your cave undergrad. You're not worthy.

Cyrus said:
If you can't understand my post, again, clearly not a grad student. Go back to your cave undergrad. You're not worthy.

is it a waste of time to argue with you! what does it have to do spending more time reading with being a graduate student or not!

drizzle said:
is it a waste of time to argue with you! what does it have to do spending more time reading with being a graduate student or not!

How about you reread the title of this thread. See, that's why you're an undergrad.

Cyrus said:
Go back to your cave undergrad. You're not worthy.

good for you, you typed that well!

drizzle said:
good for you, you typed that well!

That's because I'm a grad student.

Cyrus said:
That's because I'm a grad student.

:smile::smile::smile:, sure uncle!

Hahahaha, yeah... My work hours resemble a exponential function... hehehe. They increase when it gets closer to my weekly meeting with my advisor. Funny thing, My "free day" starts right after the weekely meetings...

I drink every day.

I haven't been doing that much lately. I'm at probably 30 hours a week. I'm expecting it to get much much busier soon.

My supervisor has a visitor and has been really busy working on that. I read the papers he gave me. I even did some extra reading and still am. My whole day tomorrow will probably be extra reading, and then at night I will do some calculations. I'll do the random programs he asks me to write to test his conjectures and statements and stuff.

Right now, I don't teach either. I could have taken a teaching position but I passed. I passed because I knew the international students have a bigger need for it (they get less money). Yes, I passed a $27/hour part-time job for the good of other people. I have no troubles with money right now. I'm just bored. I've been planning more meetings with my supervisor, but he's so busy he has a hard time keeping up with my project as well. Plus, he's leaving in July and August.

JasonRox said:
... I've been planning more meetings with my supervisor, but he's so busy he has a hard time keeping up with my project as well. Plus, he's leaving in July and August.

that reminds me :cry: my supervisor is leaving after 3 months, then I can only contact him by e-mail. I just hope I can finish my thesis before he leaves .. bheeeeeeeeee

Cyrus said:
I drink every day.

so you're awake now

get a grip of your self, will you

drizzle said:
so you're awake now

get a grip of your self, will you

What are you talking about, man...?

Cyrus said:
What are you talking about, man...?

did you read the title of this thread, it didn’t mention anything about [drinking] in case you didn’t notice, who the hell would care if you drink or not!

drizzle said:
did you read the title of this thread, it didn’t mention anything about [drinking] in case you didn’t notice, who the hell would care if you drink or not!

...? I think I'm done talking with you for tonight, your starting to get weird.

Cyrus said:
...? I think I'm done talking with you for tonight, your starting to get weird.

I see, still drunk, may the lord help you
sleep well

Cyrus said:
I drink every day.

I couldn't help myself today... I drank a Stella Artois hehe.

Cyclovenom said:
I couldn't help myself today... I drank a Stella Artois hehe.

There ok, but not my preferred type of beer. They are a bit on the bitter side, specially for a lager. I need to try a Duvel soon.

Cyrus said:
There ok, but not my preferred type of beer. They are a bit on the bitter side, specially for a lager. I need to try a Duvel soon.

I haven't tried a Duvel before. I'll try it next time.

Hmm, so far I've got two extremes and no in between. It seems like people either have a very reasonable amount of work comparable to a normal 9-5 job, or they do almost nothing but work. Should I think it's just going to be chance, or is there some way I can get an idea of what a prospective program would involve?

mbuchove said:
Hmm, so far I've got two extremes and no in between. It seems like people either have a very reasonable amount of work comparable to a normal 9-5 job, or they do almost nothing but work. Should I think it's just going to be chance, or is there some way I can get an idea of what a prospective program would involve?

Really it's up to you how much time you want/need to spend. The TA work we get in my department usually takes 15 hours per week (once you learn not to spend too much time on grading). And then you've got three graduate level classes, each with about one assigment every two weeks. So I guess that averages out to effectively 1.5 homework assignments each week. For most normal people one assignment takes about 8 hours of work to finish. So I suppose you're up to 27 hours per week at minimum. Beyond that, it's up to you to decide how much more work you want to put in.

As for the poll results...let's just say that you might not have enough statistics.