How many hard science courses can you handle per semester?

In summary: However, it is a lot of work, and it is not at all unusual for people to have to work full time during their time in school to do this.

How many hard science (math, physics, cs, etc) courses can you handle?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 6.9%

Votes: 12 41.4%

Votes: 7 24.1%

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters
set
Our math program requires only three math courses per semester so I can elect to take less intesive courses like music or french but our physics program requires four to five physics and math courses per semester. Because of this, I thought of taking three courses per semester and stay a bit longer, but if I am just lazy and trying to circumvent, I'll probably work my butt off.

Physics news on Phys.org
I put 5 because that's by far the norm in engineering at my school, and it's not at all unusual to add a non-science course on top of that. 4 science/math and one non-science course is sort of common, but anything less than that and people will start being curious about why you're doing so little (are you working full time on the side, or what?). You end up spending a lot of years in school if you don't take 5 most semesters, so that's why most people take on such a heavy workload. I've done 5 science courses every semester except for one, and I've been able to be successful academically. I've also taken my fair share of courses for physics/math majors, so I can tell you that the engineering courses are certainly comparable in difficulty to the physics/math major courses, the engineers just tend to take more science courses.

That said, taking 5 science courses is a lot of work, and I wouldn't do it if I knew I was going to have to deal with that kind of stress for more than a few years. So in the "is my life sustainable long-term when I'm taking 5 science courses" sense, I can't really "handle" 5 science courses. For a few years though? Definitely.

I'm interested in seeing more responses to this. I'm in a community college right now getting all of my lower level course work and geneds done...but after transferring, I'll be hopefully double majoring in physics and math, and looking at the courses that I'll need to take, I'll most likely be basically required to take 4-5 math/physics courses per semester. That seems difficult, but not having a bunch of gened classes to do at the same time should make it considerably easier.

Shouldn't it be clarified what is considered a course? There are plenty of courses with differing credits, do you mean 10 ECTS courses, or some other types of credits? I know I can do 40 ECTS worth of science credits in a semester and do well on the exams, but my understanding of the subjects definitely takes a hit and I'm not going to do it anymore and just take the recommended 30 ECTS a semester.

A program at my school called Engineering Physics requires, at times, for people to take 8 engineering / physics / math courses per semester. Some people can do this, but a lot of people take an extra year to finish. So, it can be done.

Related to How many hard science courses can you handle per semester?

1. How many hard science courses can I handle per semester?

The answer to this question can vary depending on the individual's learning style, time management skills, and outside commitments. Generally, it is recommended to take no more than 2-3 hard science courses per semester to maintain a manageable workload and ensure a high level of understanding and retention.

2. Will taking more hard science courses per semester help me graduate faster?

While taking more courses can potentially lead to an earlier graduation, it is not always the case. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to ensure that the courses you are taking will fulfill your degree requirements and that you can handle the workload without sacrificing your grades.

3. Are there any prerequisites or recommended courses I should take before enrolling in hard science courses?

It is highly recommended to have a strong foundation in basic math and science courses before taking on more difficult science courses. Prerequisite courses can help prepare you for the higher level material and ensure your success in the course.

4. Are there any alternative options for fulfilling science course requirements?

Some universities offer alternative options for fulfilling science course requirements, such as online or summer courses. It is important to check with your academic advisor to see if these options are available and if they will fit into your schedule.

5. How can I determine if I am able to handle a certain number of hard science courses per semester?

It is important to honestly assess your time management skills and outside commitments before enrolling in hard science courses. It can also be helpful to talk to other students who have taken similar courses and seek advice from a trusted academic advisor.