How many elements of order 2 are contained in S_4?

• Thread starter Samuelb88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elements
In summary, there are six transpositions and three disjoint transpositions in the symmetric group S_4, making a total of nine elements of order 2.
Samuelb88

Homework Statement

How many elements of order 2 does the symmetric group [itex]S_4[/itex] contain?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that transpositions have order two. Moreover, any k-cycle has order k. Thus there are six elements with order two contained in [itex]S_4[/itex]?

Is this all? Seems too simple.

Physics news on Phys.org
How many elements are there in S4 and what are they?

ehild

ehild,

There are 4! = 24 elements in [itex]S_4[/itex]. The elements are all such permutations of {1,2,3,4}.

Here is how I see the problem:

Let [itex]\sigma \in S_4[/itex]. Then either:
1. [itex]\sigma = (a_1 a_2)[/itex] and [itex](a_1 a_2)^2 = e[/itex] [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] order 2.
2. [itex]\sigma = (a_1 a_2 a_3[/itex] and [itex](a_1 a_2 a_3)^3 =e[/itex] [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] order 3.
3. [itex]\sigma = (a_1 a_2 a_3 a_4)[/itex] and [itex](a_1 a_2 a_3 a_4)^4 = e[/itex] [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] order 4.

Thus there are 6 permutations of order 2 in [itex]S_4[/itex]. Is this not correct?

Last edited:
Oh, you mean the permutation group? I thought it was the point group called S4 - sorry.

ehild

Samuelb88 said:
Thus there are 6 permutations of order 2 in [itex]S_4[/itex]. Is this not correct?

No, this is not correct.
Did you find how many of order 3 and 4 there are?
Do they add up to 24?

well, I got an idea but am not sure if I'm right because I haven't had abstract algebra yet. well, what you're claiming is that in a cyclic group G an element in G is a transposition if and only if It is of order 2. well, It's obvious that any transposition element in G is of order 2 but can we say that any element of order 2 is a transposition?
if yes, then your question would become that in how many ways we can permute two letters from n letters keeping the others the same position they are. That would be an easy problem in combinatorics and discrete math.

Hi Samuelb88! :smile:

You are certainly correct that there are 6 transpositions in S4, i.e. there are 6 elements of the form (a b). These are

[tex](1~2),(1~3),(1~4),(2~3),(2~4),(3~4)[/tex]

However, these are not the only elements of order 2! For example

[tex](1~2)(3~4)[/tex]

is also of order 2, so you got to count this one too!

Oh right! So that means there are six transpositions and three disjoint transpositions in [itex]S_4[\itex].

Yes, that sounds right!

Thanks guys!

Related to How many elements of order 2 are contained in S_4?

1. How many elements of order 2 are contained in S4?

The symmetric group S4 contains 9 elements of order 2. These elements are (1 2), (1 3), (1 4), (2 3), (2 4), (3 4), (1 2)(3 4), (1 3)(2 4), and (1 4)(2 3).

2. What is the definition of "order" in group theory?

In group theory, the order of an element refers to the number of times the element must be multiplied by itself to get the identity element. In other words, it is the smallest positive integer n such that an = e, where a is the element and e is the identity element.

3. How many elements of order 2 are contained in a symmetric group of order n?

The number of elements of order 2 in a symmetric group of order n is given by the formula n(n-1)/2. In the case of S4, n=4, so there are 4(4-1)/2 = 6 elements of order 2. However, since the identity element also has order 2, the total number of elements of order 2 in S4 is 6 + 1 = 7.

4. How can I determine the order of an element in a symmetric group?

To determine the order of an element in a symmetric group, you can use the formula n(n-1)/2, where n is the order of the group. This gives the total number of elements of order 2 in the group. Then, you can subtract 1 from this number to account for the identity element, giving the order of the desired element.

5. How can I find all elements of order 2 in a symmetric group?

To find all elements of order 2 in a symmetric group, you can use the formula n(n-1)/2, where n is the order of the group, to determine the total number of elements of order 2. Then, you can use the definition of order to determine which elements have order 2. In the case of S4, this would be (1 2), (1 3), (1 4), (2 3), (2 4), (3 4), (1 2)(3 4), (1 3)(2 4), and (1 4)(2 3).